Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Conversion to x64
David S
125 post(s)
#14-Mar-08 03:38

re conversion to x64 version of Manifold.

Now have my x64 serial number & am in the process of 'implementing' it. As noted previously, I have a Vista64 desktop & a 32bit XP laptop, both currently with 32bit Manifold.

I know a lot of this has already been covered but could someone please clarify the following.

1. IIRC, it was somewhere recommended that both the 32 & 64 bit versions be installed on an x64 system (since some things still perform better in 32 bit mode). Correct?

2. Does that mean that 2 activation keys will be required for the desktop (one for the 32 bit version & one for the 64 bit version)?

3. A third key will then be required for the 32 bit version on the laptop?

4. I assume (from 1 above) that there should be no problem with having both 32 & 64 bit versions be installed on x64 desktop?

5. OR ... do I not need to uninstall the 32 bit version before installing the new 64 bit version that I just downloaded?

Thanks for any help

David

ColinD

2,081 post(s)
#14-Mar-08 03:59

David the 64-bit version can be run in 32-bit mode from the one installation so uninstall the 32-bit version from your Vista PC and install the 64-bit version. Just one activation key needed.

I'm unsure about the current state of Vista 64-bit CUDA capability but you might need to use another activation key to install again on a 32-bit partition to use CUDA. Someone else can confirm this.

Aussie Nature Shots

adamw

10,447 post(s)
#18-Mar-08 08:25

There is no CUDA for 64-bit Windows Vista right now.

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#18-Mar-08 12:57

Some specific answers:

Now have my x64 serial number & am in the process of 'implementing' it. As noted previously, I have a Vista64 desktop & a 32bit XP laptop, both currently with 32bit Manifold.

Begin by reading http://www.manifold.net/doc/32_bit_and_64_bit_manifold_editions.htm

Two key concepts from the above:

1. 64-bit Manifold serial numbers can enable either a 32-bit Manifold installation or a 64-bit Manifold installation. A 32-bit serial number can only enable a 32-bit installation.

2. An x64 Manifold .msi when installed will automatically create both a 64-bit Manifold .exe and a 32-bit Manifold .exe. A 32-bit Manifold .msi when installed will create only a 32-bit Manifold.exe. (as might be expected)

Onward:

I assume that you upgraded your 8.00 32-bit serial number to an 8.00 64-bit serial number.

If you traded in your 32-bit serial number to get a 64-bit serial number (which is what you did if you acquired the Upgrade to x64 product for $50) then your 32-bit serial number has been revoked and you risk your license by continuing to operate any installation in which that 32-bit serial number was used. So, your first step now is to assure that no installation is running on that 32-bit serial number.

On the laptop, launch Manifold and choose Help - Activate. Enter the new 64-bit serial number and get an activation key. When Manifold restarts, you'll be running 32-bit 8.00 Manifold but now using your new 64-bit serial number to enable that installation.

On the Vista64 desktop, launch Manifold and choose Help - Activate. Enter the new 64-bit serial number and get an activation key. When Manifold restarts, you now will be running 32-bit 8.00 Manifold using your new 64-bit serial number. However, since this is a 64-bit desktop you want to be running 64-bits. The easiest way to do that is to uninstall Manifold using the Control Panel's add/remove programs applet. Next, using the 64-bit Manifold .msi installation package, install Manifold.

The 64-bit .msi will create two Manifold .exe's on your computer: a 32-bit one and a 64-bit one. Because activation will be remembered both will be activated using the 64-bit serial number you provided earlier.

1. IIRC, it was somewhere recommended that both the 32 & 64 bit versions be installed on an x64 system (since some things still perform better in 32 bit mode). Correct?

No. An x64 Manifold .msi automatically will create 32-bit and 64-bit .exe's, so you don't manually need to install from a 32-bit .msi and a 64-bit .msi. It's not really accurate to say that some things perform better in 32-bit mode because everything that runs performs better in 64-bit mode. It is just that some things (such as Jet) don't exist in 64-bit mode.

2. Does that mean that 2 activation keys will be required for the desktop (one for the 32 bit version & one for the 64 bit version)?

No.

3. A third key will then be required for the 32 bit version on the laptop?

That would be a second key. You'll need one activation key for the desktop and one activation key for the laptop.

4. I assume (from 1 above) that there should be no problem with having both 32 & 64 bit versions be installed on x64 desktop?

Correct, if you do that by letting the x64 .msi do it for you.

5. OR ... do I not need to uninstall the 32 bit version before installing the new 64 bit version that I just downloaded?

You could do it either way, but the pathway I gave above is more difficult to get wrong. :-)

By the way, whether CUDA drivers are available for x64 Vista is something NVIDIA has said they will do so the way to check on that is to visit the NVIDIA web site from time to time. (I think I've given a link to the CUDA downloads portion of the NVIDIA site in another thread.)

David S
125 post(s)
#18-Mar-08 22:10

Many thanks for the replies. Following Colin's reply, I have set the desktop up as suggested (uninstalled the original the 32bit version & installed from the 64bit msi). Both the 64 & 32bit versions seem to working fine (after realising I needed to add Google & Virtual Earth dll's to both versions). Have not used my laptop in the last week or so, but will change to the 64 bit serial number as you suggest, before using it again.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.