Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - 'related Tab' on 'Info pane' issue
yves61
435 post(s)
#28-Nov-23 17:04

I have a table + drawing 'A' and a related table 'B' . Also a select query 'Q' on table B for which I created a drawing based on 'Q'.

For a specific record in 'A' I have 13 related records in query 'Q'

With an active Map, with layer 'A', and layer 'Q' I ALT-click the specific record and define the relation between A and Q.

On the Info pane -> Related Tab , I found that the 'related Tab' limits the number of related records to 10 instead of showing the full 13 records from the related query 'Q'.

Is this normal expected behaviour that the 'related Tab' on the 'Info pane' will show up to maximum 10 records?

yves61
435 post(s)
#28-Nov-23 19:49

added attachment -> relatedTab_issue.map file

Dimitri

7,400 post(s)
#29-Nov-23 06:21

Is this normal expected behaviour that the 'related Tab' on the 'Info pane' will show up to maximum 10 records?

Yes. That's discussed in the Info Pane: Related topic:

(related list)

A list of up to the first ten related records found, displaying fields as chosen in the Related dialog when the relation was set up.

That could be more emphatically noted. I've sent in a suggestion to improve the topic.

yves61
435 post(s)
#29-Nov-23 09:04

Dimitri, thank you for your response.

I overlooked the item mentioning that it is limited to the first ten related records.

Fine that you will send in a suggestion to make it more emphatically noted in the manual, but all-in-all I personally would like to see a larger or even a full set of related records appearing.

Another suggestion concerning "related Tab" is to have styled table fields when appearing in a related table (http: url, file, ...) to be clickable and automatically launch a program/browser as well, similar as presently active in the original table or from the "values Tab" on the Info pane.

Dimitri

7,400 post(s)
#07-Dec-23 13:58

I personally would like to see a larger

How many records would you like to see?

Would it make a difference if it were 16, 20, or 32? The Related pane is not that big, so without controls to handle/search/filter many records it probably greatly declines in usefulness after 16 or 20 or so, don't you think? Keep in mind that results are unordered (like any table), so if there are hundreds those would be just overwhelming.

That seems especially true if there are many fields added in the relation. I've just tried some examples adding just one field (where it seems to make sense to have more than 10 appearing), and also 20 or 30 fields, where even just 10 related records is a lot of text.

yves61
435 post(s)
#14-Dec-23 07:32

Dimitri,

I understand that having 100 records from a related table or query - each record showing 20 fields - resulting in 2000 lines of data may not be optimal.

But consider having 20 related records - each record having 3 fields - showing 60 lines is to me not much of a problem to consult visually, but presently this is not possible as it has been limited to maximum 10 records.

With all due respect, I still think M9 users could profit from less restriction on the number of records shown on the "related tab" in the "info pane", and leave it up to the user to judge if having e.g. 2000 lines in the related tab is wishful and/or practical to consult.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.