Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Labels lack automatic means to prevent overlap
Mike Pelletier

2,065 post(s)
#30-Nov-22 17:35

Currently in Manifold 9 labels from different layers will overlap each other. There isn't any internal process in the software to prevent it. I've tried writing SQL to merge labels from all the layers that need labeling into one label layer. That stops the overlap but then you lose any control over prioritizing what labels get displayed when they conflict.

Manual movement of labels by modifying its geometry works, but only if your never going to change the map extent (not a likely scenario) since the change persists. Are there any other work arounds?

It's a shame because 9 could be really useful for map making not just processing GIS data. Seems like labels are the last big roadblock.

I understand its a challenge for Manifold to fix overlapping labels because of the multi-threaded nature of the software's rendering. Perhaps they aren't getting many requests to fix it either. That could be because folks aren't using it much for map making, but with the recent addition of other label controls, north arrows, scale bars, and graticules it is a more practical solution. Also, it will need to be fixed before web mapping is viable otherwise it will create embarrassing results.

Send in your votes. :-)

dchall8
970 post(s)
#30-Nov-22 20:36

Send in your votes. :-)

I'm sure what you meant was, "Send in your suggestions."

Mike Pelletier

2,065 post(s)
#01-Dec-22 21:03

Yeah, you are right, it's not a democracy. :-) Sure seems like voting sometimes though with a chance to write in the "why" of how your voting. It's really nice to have some level of influence.

dchall8
970 post(s)
#02-Dec-22 21:26

I can see both sides. I think it is helpful to generate a discussion here, because there is no discussion in a suggestion box. Your concern might remind someone else of an idea for a corollary concern.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.