Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Form toolbar Widget component using manifold 9 like manifold 8
lionel

972 post(s)
#14-Jun-22 13:00

As manifold 9 does not have a visual component like manifold 8 ( toolbar ,Control, Form Script) . I need to know which language in manifold 9 allows to create form (input fields, selection fields, save to table) easily.

I think C# ( microsoft) or ironpython ( Microsoft CLR) could be suitable. But what FREE development tool could make building the visual interface easier ?

I know there is web service KobotoolBoxto create Form without coding but need to do simple thing local/desktop . A *.map file with external files to put under Manifold/shared/ directory (file.* * = cs , ipy, py,vbs ..) would be welcome.

Thanks

Python 3 and Manifold 9 (georeference.org)

IronPython 2.7.8 (georeference.org)

IronPython 2.7.6.3 (georeference.org)

Running IronPython from outside Manifold application (georeference.org)

mpanifold feature and Microsoft IDE SDK (georeference.org)

INFOGRAPHY union , LINK doc , API, deepl & keyboard shortcut

adamw

10,011 post(s)
#14-Jun-22 13:40

I am normally creating a .NET Framework DLL in C# (although language does not matter, VB.NET will also work), create some modal forms using Windows Forms in the designer, then add some (public classes with static) functions that show these forms. Then reference that DLL in a script using // $reference: file.dll, and, well, call the functions.

artlembo

3,260 post(s)
#14-Jun-22 16:02

this has been discussed in the past, and I had posted a quick video on it once. .NET is certainly a grown up version of programming. But, the rudimentary Form production in 8 was super simple. Literally, within minutes you could build your own form-based interface for automating processes. I hope that 9 will include this type of capability, for a couple of reasons:

1. it is super simple. You barely need to know how to script, and you can have an easy-to-use form for whatever process you want to create. Literally, 15 minutes, and you are done, with dropdowns, buttons, checkboxes, whatever.

2. having a self-contained .map file where all the data is in a single file really lends itself to having an easy to create GUI. While it can be argued that the VB Form interface is nowhere near as robust as a .NET interface, it lends itself to being self-contained in the .map file. Just give your friend a .map file, with the custom form built in, and away they go. No messing with .dlls or anything.

3. this is for easy automation, easy sharing. No, you won't have the kind of security you have with a .NET .dll, but that's not the purpose here. The purpose is to create a simple GUI for someone to use, and have it simply embedded in the GUI.

rk
518 post(s)
#15-Jun-22 11:52

I believe a sample or a template of what Adam suggests will take a beginner and anyone a lot closer to 15min form-building with Visual Studio. @Sloots knows how to do this

I have my template on github for (not GUI) Manifold add-ons, and when I need to create one, once in a blue moon, it helps to remember the details.

lionel

972 post(s)
#15-Jun-22 14:18

If I install a software (Free VStudio version) and after a few minutes I see that I am limited because the functionality I want to use (create a Windows form, compile to dll or exe ) is too expensive for the use I have: either I uninstall the software, or I look for a solution (command line or here Monodevelop under Ubuntu) In a way the development started under emacs and Vi and bash environment ...but it is necessary to master what is possible only with time . VStudioCode makes me think of Emacs .

Some Powershell company has tool to create exe from Form ( xaml i think , so i need a Free xaml editor ! )

if GTK.NET dotnet 3.1 application work on Ubuntu and Windows OS .....it ll be nice

Stetic | Mono (mono-project.com)

nice read about Npgsql Monologue - Voices of the Mono Project (go-mono.com)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

lionel

972 post(s)
#15-Jun-22 13:52

this month 14 jun 2022 , i have a look again to WSL and dot net and monodevelop ( gtk base) under Ubuntu WSL to use VScode GUI under windows OS but process code under Ubuntu. Afet WSL1 go to WSL2 ( stable) now Ubuntu WSL2 go from 20.04 ( Focal Fossa stable ) to 22.04 LTS (Jammy Jellyfishdev stage only) .

I don't test VScode under Windows 10 with dotnet SDK under Ubuntu but it all seem to work under Ubuntu because i have this :

The big problem in the different step are :

- Ubuntu during boot need systemd systemctl , ( genie that need dotnet)

-choose protocol to acces in gui way from windows 10 to Ubuntu ( rdp, XCMDX , VNC)

What i really like under Windows OS is

- from MS OS 20H2 , MS OS has new functionnalities to install ( optionalFeatures.exe)

- Ubuntu WSL2 is available on MS Store like some tool to manage gWSL ( not use)

-MS OS manage in implicit way all virtual IP ( bridge ) even if windows OS is disconnected from Wifi or network !!

manifold gis is a tool for maps and SQL development. It is impossible even for someone who knows a little bit about macros in Excel to develop code with the manifold interface. ESRI has chosen python which is a free and easy environment, efficient (spyder ..). Manifold chose languages like vbs, pyhton , JScript, ironpython ...which are all languages that require a paid IDE ( VStudio , LinqPad ) . Microsoft has no interest in having VSCode compete with VStudio. And the restrictions are at the level of the compiler and the debug. If the majority of mamnifold customers are professionals then they have a VStudio license (which is not my case : p) .

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Attachments:
Ubuntu20.04_WSL2_XFCE_RDP_dotnet3.1_monodevelop.png

davebic11 post(s)
#18-Jun-22 03:11

Agree. Two cents from a non-programmer almost everyday M9 user. An intuitive (dare say no or low code) form builder imbedded within M9 would be an absolute game changer. Users could then really exploit and distribute the power of the excellent Manifold db.

adamw

10,011 post(s)
#18-Jun-22 13:02

To clarify: you are talking about form builder for data entry, correct? That is, take a table, build a form, use that form to enter new records / edit existing records, right? Because you say "no code". (Art is likely talking about forms in a general sense, where you put some controls onto a form, *and then write a script to fill them / react to user actions*.)

artlembo

3,260 post(s)
#18-Jun-22 15:13

Just for affirmation, yes, you have captured my thoughts accurately.

davebic11 post(s)
#19-Jun-22 15:15

Yes, I am talking about a robust no/low code form builder imbedded in the Manifold program. Citizen development is vey popular now - just google no/low code application development and the options are seemingly endless but primarily subscription based which is expensive and locks you in. However, few if any of them can connect to the Manifold DB via odbc. Exceptions are desktop DBMS like Access, Kexi etc. - but they are very dated. After much research, the best alternative that I have found is cloud based Oracle Apex which in theory can will interact with Manifold through the Oracle DB. Although, I’ve yet to make the connection I think it will work well. As good as this solution may be, it still doesn’t use Manifold DB. And the GIS part of Apex is fairly weak, limited imports etc. Using Manifold and Apex is the best solution I have found. Getting long winded here but there does not appear to be a reasonably priced solution to a forms/app builder in the GIS world excepting Arc (expensive) or Qgis, which has a forms builder but is clunky requires a separate DB

artlembo

3,260 post(s)
#19-Jun-22 18:55

This too, is a good idea. Considering that Oracle, SQL server, and other products don’t have this kind of form entry I wonder if manifold would be a useful tool for simply connecting to those databases and entering data. In other words, people might simply buy manifold and never use any of the GIS parts of it. They only use it for an easy look into their databases

lionel

972 post(s)
#20-Jun-22 08:05

The best for web is perhaps apex but for local i find SQLite usefull. I really like linqpad that use for input text a kind of one line black Windows prompt look that ll take place appear on bottom of log tab inside manifold. I think many big parts of manifold gui should be accessible to script for select input and no form builder have to be use. Go back to command prompt valid the selection ( sort of buttons event). Until now script is use to call and compute table data (manifold 9 is itself 2 tables and also Query file )...not let user select items inside gui table ( click on table-> open).It is a kind of procedural with loop for avoid to use static value in C# and SQL code .i am not against a control builder .....

lionel

972 post(s)
#20-Jun-22 09:25

SQLite because there no free or available manifold driver for linQPad.LinQPad support only by default : SQLite, MySQL, oracle !,SQL server ( Linq C# to SQL) WCF,EF.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.