Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - icomoon POI icon using glyph vector POI font not raster
lionel

873 post(s)
#07-Nov-21 21:12

After the two posts about the notion of vector in manifold 9 (North Arrow , Vector editing in 9 ) ; I tested if there was free access to font libraries for cartographers (one of thethree north, point of interest ...). Having spent a lot of time studying and testing the html css standards. I tested if it was possible to use (paste and view) a glyph representing a POI icon from a custom font file containing 4 glyphs created from the free site IcoMoon.

The general idea in fonts is that the unicode standard allows to insert in an area called SPUA (Supplementary Private Use area) our vector drawings. These drawings are drawn with vector software (illustrator, Inkscape.affinity Designer) then compiled with IcoMoonto a font files ( *.svg, *.eot, *.ttf, *.woff) and finally installed with FontBasein Microsoft windows 10 ( ttf font only is use .)

I had in mind to use a Compass Rose but iconMoon had a POI icon. I used it ( icomoon.zip) at least to know if everything works under manifold 9 (character insertion and visualization). To select the poi, I used charmap ( charmap plus) by selecting the icon representing the poi then clicking on button "select" and then button "copy". In manifold 9 I use the IME editor.

There are alternatives to iconMoon but also a search engine called GlyphSearch that I used to know where to find an icon representing a poi among the existing web fonts services : ( IconMoon, Font Awesome,Foundation Icon Fonts,GLYPHICONS , Ionicons, Material Design Iconic Font , emacs-octicons).

I don't think I made any mistakes during the different steps.

The result is not there but maybe it's time to send an email to sales@manifold.net !

Attachments:
charmap_icomoon_unicode.png
charmap_path.png
icomoon.zip
icomoon_POItest.map
manifold_pa_poi-icon.png

union, doc , APIand most important deepl & keyboard shortcut

Dimitri

6,899 post(s)
#08-Nov-21 03:56

The result is not there but maybe it's time to send an email to sales@manifold.net !

No, the problem is you're not following the instructions in the user manual for using point icons from fonts.

It's time to review the forum for posts like this: https://georeference.org/forum/t158087.16#158101, and then carefully read the relevant Style dialog topics. Learn to use Style for points using fonts. There are many topics and a few detailed examples. Study those.

lionel

873 post(s)
#08-Nov-21 06:12

I'm a total idiot, I didn't even choose the font ! ....

Thanks

Dimitri

6,899 post(s)
#08-Nov-21 06:53

No, you're not a total idiot. You're a smart guy. You just got carried away by something interesting. That's OK. :-)

lionel

873 post(s)
#26-Nov-21 20:45

I always read news and search new tools about glyph and font. Mac has the best tools ever with Glyphs Mini 2 and for Windows Microsoft we can use any SVG editors (Inkscape, Illustrator, Affinity Designer) with FontForge ( this software is always mentioned when creating a font and is free ).

For Adobe plugin on Mac & PC there is now Fontself (the website show that metric and bearing matters and cover Color Fonts , the plug in is not free and work only for CC version ).

OSM has also a page about icon for GIS here:

- Map Icons/Map Icons Standards - OpenStreetMap Wiki

- SVG symbol sets that can be used as Inkscape symbols

- SJJB SVG Map Icons: Contact Sheet

I read an pdf article (second half of 2020) from cartONG : Create and use icon font for mapping : the use case of 3W maps ( 3W & 4W map ) . it is a step by step tutorial about Labels (merge/join) using icomoon and QGis 3.1 and ArcGis Pro 2.6.1 .

The article give 3 links to download free vector ( SVG) icons ( Flaticon.com,Free Icon, Noun Project) .

The article has a comparison table on advanced labelling functionalities.

For Label and icon see Manifold website newsand documentation about Label( Style , Topics , Label Icon ) without forget style for Drawings(Points, Lines, Areas)and raster ( Palettes, Contouring, Hill Shading, Invisible Pixels).

Attachments:
gis_comparison_label.png

dchall8
916 post(s)
#28-Nov-21 02:36

Compass roses are not hard to build in Inkscape. They can be tedious, but not hard. Or you can make hard ones if you are a good Inkscape artist. Find a compass rose on the Internet, import it to Inkscape, and use that as a model. I should mention that ones you find on the Internet are not as accurate as you might want. I found every one I looked at to be off by a few degrees, and somewhat warped. So do it yourself for best results.

Here are some I have worked on.

Attachments:
Compass Rose1.png
Redline Rose.png
Vector Airplane Rose.png

lionel

873 post(s)
#29-Nov-21 12:54

There is a nice tutorial on youtube at Create a Logo - Compass Rose - Illustrator Tutorial - Bing video

Thank's for the images.

NB othes posts

- North Arrow (georeference.org)

-Help on adding a compass rose to a map (georeference.org)

adamw

9,817 post(s)
#29-Nov-21 13:41

(Just wanted to say "wow". Those are some nice compass roses!)

oeaulong

378 post(s)
#30-Nov-21 03:02

are you importing the .svg into manifold? or using an exported image?

lionel

873 post(s)
#07-Dec-21 21:38

I have design the first one Compass_rose1.png using serif affinity designer ...but many questions :

1) which area are transparent ? ( i fill with white color the center circle and each star )

2) which format is use to import svg inside manifold ?

3) is there a way to have svg with no transform/matrix inside only absolute path ( d="M...L...Z")

thank's

one of the start has a problem !

Attachments:
Compass Rose1_decoupe.png
Compass Rose1_pngbase64.svg

Dimitri

6,899 post(s)
#08-Dec-21 03:39

For formats supported for bitmap symbols, see the Style: Bitmap Symbols topic. If you want to use vector formats like svg, I suppose the way to do that is to convert them into a font and then use the font.

lionel

873 post(s)
#08-Dec-21 10:27

I think that the compass svg can't be imported as a vector font .

This for 2 reasons :

1) the file has too many elements to fit in an small area .

2) even if the final result of compass rose is nice, the way to build the different xml graphic elements can be unwise and make the conversion impossible .

So yes i need to test bitmap symbol thank's

Attachments:
Compass Rose_transparentok.png

adamw

9,817 post(s)
#29-Nov-21 13:48

Regarding the comparison table:

Multicolour labels - Yes or Yes / Limited depending on what Yes means for ArcGIS (our labels can show an icon which is formatted separately from text / text box, etc, if that's the extent of "multicolour" needed, then that's a Yes, otherwise it is Yes / Limited).

Many labelling languages - are we talking about being able to mix, say, English text and Chinese text in the same label? then it's a Yes.

Easy updates - I believe that's a Yes.

Stack labels - unclear what is meant here, could be a Yes, could be a Yes / Limited, could be a No.

Managing Null / Empty data - that's a Yes.

lionel

873 post(s)
#17-Jan-22 00:18

refer to adamw

Attachments:
comparision.png

Dimitri

6,899 post(s)
#17-Jan-22 06:34

I don't think that's an accurate table. You can't ignore the "depends what is meant" part of what adamw said. "Multicolor Labels" should be a Yes for both Q and Manifold, and "Stack Labels" should be a Yes for Manifold as well. You can endlessly stack labels to create whatever effect you want.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.