Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - M8 missing projections on new install
Sev
459 post(s)
#20-Oct-21 02:32

Hi everyone, I have just installed M8 & M9 on a new computer. I notice that when I try to assign or change projection in M8, the "Standard" folder is the only one showing. Seems to be missing the Gauss Kruger, Graphics, Universal Polar Stereographic, Universal Transverse Mercator and Universal Transverse Mercator (South).

Any thoughts as to why this is the case?

Thanks in advance. Andrew.

Dimitri

6,852 post(s)
#20-Oct-21 05:48

Can't say what's going on without knowing exactly what you're doing. What build of 8 did you install? How did you install it (all details, etc.)? What are you trying to project/re-project? How do you launch the dialog you're using?

Sev
459 post(s)
#24-Oct-21 07:48

Sure thing, here are some of the details....

Installed a portable version, Build 8.0.31.1 (11-Sep-2021)

Installed as per instructions, extracted files, ran the exe.

Wasn't really trying to reproject anything, but was just checking the projection of some of my previous projects, and when I right click/assign or change projection, seemed to be missing a lot...I'll add a couple of screenshots.

The Old version was Build 8.0.29.0, not a portable install.

Not sure if it's related or not, but I also don't seem to have any templates available in the "Create Layout" dialogue, and when I place the Image servers under the manifold-8.0.31.1-x64 folder, make sure they are not locked, restart etc, I keep getting the "No Manifold Image Servers installed". Happy to start another post regarding this issue if you think that would be more appropriate.

Attachments:
2021-10-24_164520.jpg
Image Server location 2021-10-24_165326.jpg
Old Version 2021-10-24_164648.jpg

ColinD

2,032 post(s)
#24-Oct-21 09:08

Hey Sev, been a while! I think you need to replace the portable config with the one from the old full install.

Aussie Nature Shots

Sev
459 post(s)
#24-Oct-21 10:25

G'day Colin, yeah been ages!! Hope all is well with you.

That's a pity, the portable method is so much simpler. Thanks for the tip, will install the old method.

Out of interest, doesn't that make the portable install much less capable?

Thanks!!

Dimitri

6,852 post(s)
#24-Oct-21 12:18

The portable installation is exactly the same as the regular install, except that it doesn't install .NET or Visual C redistributables if those are missing.

The usual issue with portable installations is permissions, people unzipping and still having files blocked, etc.

Sev
459 post(s)
#24-Oct-21 23:01

Ok, I'll have another go at extracting. Would you suggest doing the ol login as "true administrator privileges'"?

Sev
459 post(s)
#24-Oct-21 23:43

Tried the login as administrator, no success.

Dimitri

6,852 post(s)
#25-Oct-21 04:17

Would you suggest doing the ol login as "true administrator privileges'"?

No, that's not it. Have you installed the base build for 8? Unlike 9, with 8 you have to install the base build to enable use of a portable installation.

From the Install and Activate topic:

Portable Installations

A portable installation is a .zip file that unzips into a fully-functional package that requires no installation. Many users prefer portable installations to using Windows Installer. Portable installations require manual installation of Microsoft prerequisites if those have not already been installed.

PortableCutting Edge builds for Release 8 requireprior installation of the most recent Release 8 Base build on the same machine. This is a difference from Release 9, where installation of a Release 9 Cutting Edge build does not require prior installation of a Release 9 Base build.

Sev
459 post(s)
#26-Oct-21 22:44

Yep that was it. But if I have to install the ver8 base, what's the point of the portable install?

Dimitri

6,852 post(s)
#27-Oct-21 05:49

You can have multiple cutting edge builds in between each base build.

Sev
459 post(s)
#27-Oct-21 07:59

Ok, thanks Dimitri.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.