Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Map projection
Tranquill2 post(s)
#19-Jul-21 00:26

Please I would like for someone to tell me the best map projection for mapping small areas in British Columbia like school, farm or a small town. What projection is used for a cities like Vancouver and Victoria? Thanks.

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#19-Jul-21 08:34

the best map projection for mapping small areas in British Columbia like school, farm or a small town.

There is no one answer, for the reasons given inthis topic. Read that topic and the links it recommends. It depends on what you want to do.

If you want your maps to look like an overhead view of the school or farm from high up in the air (from space) then use a custom Orthographic projection centered on the view. But that requires extra thought for beginners.

A workable alternative is to find out what projection is used by the local town within which the school or farm occurs. That's often some standard projection based on UTM.

I believe there are five standard UTM zones that are used in British Columbia (use google search to find maps of where those are). Use whichever one of those projections covers the region where the school or farm is located.

That has the advantage that when you interchange data with other applications, almost certainly the other application will understand the projection that you used.

Tranquill2 post(s)
#21-Jul-21 01:02

Many thanks!

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.