Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - MacGyver
Sloots

678 post(s)
#02-Apr-21 15:55

Nice illustration of what can be made with Manifold. Does not look like a GIS map, but it is. It shows the weekly deaths in the Netherlands in a radar plot.

http://www.mppng.nl/manifold/pointlabeler

yves61
438 post(s)
#02-Apr-21 19:08

Very nice indeed.

steveFitz

340 post(s)
#03-Apr-21 06:33

Brilliant! Very intuitive way to show such data!

Any hints on how it is done?

Sloots

678 post(s)
#03-Apr-21 16:03

I started with a dataset like this:

1380 records all the way up to 2021.

Then I wrote a couple of queries for the various part of the diagram (a map in Pseudo Mercator projection, everything is centered around the origin.)

For example the following SQL is used to create the 12 lines that point out from the centre:

-- $manifold$

VALUE @part FLOAT64 = 360 / 12;

VALUE @radius FLOAT64 = 125;

TABLE CALL TableCacheIndexGeoms(

(

SELECT

[maand]

, GeomMakeSegment(

VectorMakeX2(0,0)

VectorMakeX2(

@radius * Sin([angle] / 180 * PI)

, @radius * Cos([angle] / 180 * PI)

)

as [geom]

FROM

(

SELECT

[maand]

[maand_nr] * @part AS [angle]

FROM

(

VALUES 

(1, 'Jan')

, (2, 'Feb'

, (3, 'Mrt'

, (4, 'Apr'

, (5, 'Mei'

, (6, 'Jun'

, (7, 'Jul'

, (8, 'Aug'

, (9, 'Sep'

, (10, 'Okt'

, (11, 'Nov'

, (12, 'Dec'

AS ([maand_nr][maand])

)

)

)

true)

A similar query creates the 12 points for the label position of each month.

Then a query for the circles.

VALUE @step INT32 = 1000;

VALUE @start FLOAT64 = 0;

VALUE @end FLOAT64 = 5085;

VALUE @radius FLOAT64 = 120 / ((@end - @start) / @step);

TABLE CALL TableCacheIndexGeoms(

(

SELECT

[value] AS [ringnumber]

, [value] * @step AS [value]

, GeomMakeCircle(VectorMakeX2(0,0), [value] * @radius) as [geom]

, GeomMakePoint(VectorMakeX2(0, -[value] * @radius)) as [geom_label]

FROM

(

TABLE CALL ValueSequence(1, (@end - @start) / @step, 1) 

)

)

true)

It creates both the circles and an anchor point for the labels as well. The variables control the size between each ring.

And finally the most important query that created the lines based on the data. See attached .map file.

Hope this gives you some insight.

Chris

Attachments:
nightingale chart.map

joebocop
514 post(s)
#03-Apr-21 23:24

Super awesome, man.

RonHendrickson
283 post(s)
#06-Apr-21 02:26

It reminds me of my old, old Commodore 64 days, programming in Basic and coming up with wild things that no one thought possible.

Brilliant.

tjhb
10,094 post(s)
#06-Apr-21 03:41

How many ex-Commodore 64 programmers are there on the forum then? (Apart from Ron I know of one other, whom I won't shout out.)

I was remembering today that my teenage programmes were a flight simulator (instruments only, no real GUI) and a database (storage only, no theory).

So at university I studied French, Philosophy, and Law. What a silly monkey. Took me a while to come home.

Still have the 5 1/4 floppies.

Sloots

678 post(s)
#06-Apr-21 06:39

I used to program on a Commodore 64. Only had the cassette recorder, no floppies.

tjhb
10,094 post(s)
#06-Apr-21 06:58

We had the cassette recorder and a floppy drive, so lucky. (Actually I think we had dual floppy drives, don't hate me.)

So that's 4 of us, at least!

Great marketing for Manifold.

adamw

10,447 post(s)
#06-Apr-21 14:46

I was writing programs for i8080 and, later, z80. Since I was a child and had very limited access to the computer, the process was: write a program in the assembly code on paper, debug it as thoroughly as you can in your head, translate the assembly code into hexadecimal numbers, double-check the translation for errors (this is where most of the errors were), then beg the mother to let me come to her work to have an hour of quality time with the machines, input the codes, then watch it all either fail or run. On the off chance there is a few minutes left, play some version of Lode Runner or something.

RonHendrickson
283 post(s)
#06-Apr-21 15:21

I also did some assembly language coding on the C64, learning about interrupts, etc. Heady stuff.

The tools we had very primitive, but it forced you to really get into how the computer worked.

Manifold 9 SQL tools are fantastic in my opinion too.

Mike Pelletier

2,122 post(s)
#06-Apr-21 15:55

On a different tack, my Dad would bring home IBM punch cards to use for grocery lists. I wasn't much for computing back then but sure liked imagining adventures on maps

adamw

10,447 post(s)
#06-Apr-21 16:01

Punch cards are also perfect as bookmarks. (You know. Physical ones. For physical books.)

jsperr
143 post(s)
#08-Apr-21 23:09

I started on a Heathkit H-8 with the tape option. I believe my friend still has it in his attic. I still have an original copy of the Gary Kildall CP-M manual and an Intel pocket sized reference card for the 8080 opcodes that I used as a book mark in the manual. My uncle was an engineer at ConEd in NYC and was always bringing us a new supply of IBM punch cards that got used for shopping lists or gapping the plugs and points on my Volvo in a pinch.

I made a fair part-time income working for the local computer shop in Kingston NY interfacing printers for their dental office clients where WordStar had sections where you could patch in op-codes to get them to work correctly -- throwing in a few no-ops made me look like a genius and earned me a quick $50. The other half of the client base were the Woodstock musicians -- I remember delivering the first Apple Lisa in the shop to Todd Rundgren who had developed his Utopia Graphics program on an Apple II.

I took a course in microcomputer hardware at the local community college that I basically ended up teaching. They had these small development boards for I forget which processor, but I was the only one who understood interrupts and the stack and how to get them to do cool and useful things.

lionel

995 post(s)
#07-Apr-21 13:09

the code logic behind gui make me think of rose des sable from adam post ( and harmony fourrier).

About childhood, our(familly) first "PC" was videogenie In france ( a TRS 80 clone with one color green monitor) and after amiga 500.

I don't know the time where we have to use typewiter and punch card ( bill gate, steeve wozniack).

French inventor jaquard create punched card to avoid children work but with card you need no children at all !!!

Transistor was a game changer (busicon).

Book about Science , cosmological model , Interstellar travels

Boyle surface fr ,en

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.