Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Name already in use.
yves61
248 post(s)
#29-Mar-21 15:15

M9 - When I want to change a component's name - be it part or whole - from Capital case to Lower case a warning pop-up appears "Name already in use". Is this normal behaviour ? I would expect the system to just accept the name change even if it were just modifying a letter from Upper to Lower case or vice versa.

adamw

9,588 post(s)
#29-Mar-21 15:23

Names are case-insensitive, so yes, this is normal. Try adding an extra letter first, then removing it.

We will probably modify the behavior for MAP files, but with other data sources our hands are kind of tied.

tjhb

9,700 post(s)
#29-Mar-21 17:45

On the other hand... do we want to be able to name components identically except for different capitalisation? I don't think that would be helpful.

(1) It would usually be inadvertent, and be simply confusing, for humans, in the project pane.

(2) SQL is not case sensitive. How would name ambiguity be resolved?

Can of worms. Best not changed at all IMHO.

tjhb

9,700 post(s)
#29-Mar-21 18:21

...But you can probably allow renaming that only changes case, while still preserving uniqueness regardless of case. Silly me.

I think Windows Explorer does this.

adamw

9,588 post(s)
#30-Mar-21 09:52

Yes, that's what I meant - accept changes in case for an already existing name (for MAP files, mostly).

yves61
248 post(s)
#29-Mar-21 18:36

Just in case when typing inadvertently the name wrong to be able to modify swiftly. I will try adding a letter first and then modify the name. Thank you Adam and Tim.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2019 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.