Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Manifold installation error
sgaiji38 post(s)
#11-Feb-21 13:45

Hi all,

I mainly use Manifold 8 Universal and try to get started with Manifold 9 without success until now.

Recently, I bought a new laptop and tried to install Manifold on it. If it worked fine with version 9, I am facing an error that is blocking the installation for version 8.

As advised, I checked that I was in administrator mode and that all my security utilities were disabled (antivirus etc.).

However, every time I run the installation of Manifold 8, I get these error messages:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manifold Install Tool

Installation error : Access to registry key

'HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Record\{748E9D5-91FF-389F-A7D3-BE46236AD818}' is refused

There is a problem with this Windows Installer package.

A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected.

Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

Manifold System 8.0 Setup Wizard ended prematurely ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These errors messages happen before asking for the Serial number.

I don't understand where I realize an error.

My original Windows is 64 bit (so I used the 64 bit version of the installer).

I have verified that no additional utility could interfere with the installation.

Both versions of Windows 64 Home (on the old and new laptops) are up to date.

I read and reread the FAQs without finding THE solution.

If I checked on the Status page my Serial Number, 1 installation is left and could be used ...

Could you please help me ?

Stephane

Dimitri

6,512 post(s)
#11-Feb-21 14:02

Something is preventing processes you launch from deleting that registry key. I'd use the windows registry editor to manually delete the key, and then try again.

Can't resist adding... I'm *so* happy 9 has portable installations. Not having to deal with Windows installer is really nice.

sgaiji38 post(s)
#11-Feb-21 14:41

Good idea but I did not find that registry key with regedit.

Other fact :

When I type in a command prompt window : net user administrator /active:yes

I get : "Unable to find the user name" !!!

Dimitri

6,512 post(s)
#12-Feb-21 08:38

I did not find that registry key with regedit.

That's puzzling. Could it be you wrote down an inaccurate registry path / key? Try the installation again and do a screenshot of the error message so you can be sure to search for the exact key in the registry.

Make sure, of course, that you are logged in as THE Administrator. See http://www.manifold.net/tech/admin_login.shtml

sgaiji38 post(s)
#15-Feb-21 08:38

Since our last exchange, I have tried various manipulations without success.

1 / I checked that I had the rights of an Administrator and this is the case.

2 / I created a second administrator account in local mode and it works. I logged in with.

3 / I created an empty key in the registry with the same identities as the one mentioned in the error message (of course I checked this one precisely).

4 / I checked in the Windows event viewer for the type of error I found when trying to install Manifold 8. There are two each time.

5 / I checked the Administrators Permissions (SYSTEM and Administrators) on drive C as well as that C is not encrypted.

Each time I tried to restart the installation without success.

If you can't find the right solution after examining my screenshots, I have one last chance: make a full backup of my C partition on an external hard drive (with Acronis Image) then reinstall Windows 10 with factory settings and finally try to install Manifold 8 first before all other software ...

Attachments:
Presse-papiers-00.jpg
Presse-papiers-2.jpg
Presse-papiers-3.jpg

Dimitri

6,512 post(s)
#15-Feb-21 11:24

1 / I checked that I had the rights of an Administrator and this is the case.

That's not the same as logging in as THE Administrator. Please carefully read the page at http://www.manifold.net/tech/admin_login.shtml

2 / I created a second administrator account in local mode and it works. I logged in with.

There's only one true Administrator account. You can't create a second one. It sounds like you're confusing THE Administrator account with various other accounts that are thought to have administrator privileges. Those are not the same as THE Administrator account. It's usually not an issue in Windows 10, but it could be, so that is one possible source of trouble that should be eliminated.

If you can't find the right solution after examining my screenshots, I have one last chance: make a full backup of my C partition on an external hard drive (with Acronis Image) then reinstall Windows 10 with factory settings and finally try to install Manifold 8 first before all other software ...

More like if you can't find the right solution. :-)

If Windows Installer doesn't allow access to a registry key, that's most often a permissions issue of some kind. Dealing with the permissions issue is usually way easier than re-installing Windows.

There are other things that could be preventing software from routine manipulation of registry keys. For example, you could have some "registry protector", some sort of uninstall utility, an anti-virus package, a supervisory package your IT department installed, some sort of policy established, and so on. You should turn off any of those, reboot, and then check to make sure they're still turned off.

sgaiji38 post(s)
#16-Feb-21 23:30

Finally, I have made a complete reset of the operating system.

I succeeded to reinstall and activate Manifold 8.

I still don't understand what happened on the old windows 10 installation ...

Stephane

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2019 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.