Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - adding points in the segments with equal interval regardless of the vertex
mao90210
84 post(s)
#09-Jan-18 05:56

Hello once again, i need some help right now.

May i know how to put points in the line with equal distance regardless of the vertex

like this one in the attached image? this how they do in Arcmap.

Thank you

Attachments:
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

adamw

10,447 post(s)
#09-Jan-18 07:26

This requires using a query or a script.

Are you just looking to get the job done or do you want to learn how to write such things? In the former case I will just (write and) post a script, in the latter case I will walk you through the way you create it.

mao90210
84 post(s)
#09-Jan-18 07:58

Thank you Adamw, I am very interested to learn how to write a query or a script like this one even though i dont have any background in programming but i will try my best how to do it.

adamw

10,447 post(s)
#10-Jan-18 08:47

OK, if you don't have any background in programming, it is going to be tough to explain everything in a post. :-)

I am attaching the MAP file with a script. The script takes a drawing named 'Drawing', processes lines and creates a new drawing named 'Points' placing a point onto each line every 100 meters. Example output is in the MAP file (open the map to see it). You can adjust the names of components and the value of 100 by editing the script.

Hope this helps.

Attachments:
script-place-points-8.map

mao90210
84 post(s)
#11-Jan-18 07:32

Wow! it works like magic, this is exactly what i want.

In arcmap you have to do it one at a time in every single polyline.

But in this script i just change the value of intervals then thats it works perfectly fine.

Thank you so much for this adamw.

lionel

995 post(s)
#11-Jan-18 19:25

ss

Attachments:
mfd8_geomType.png

Book about Science , cosmological model , Interstellar travels

Boyle surface fr ,en

lionel

995 post(s)
#11-Jan-18 18:58

Hi

-very basic question : how can i know the unit of the value 100 refer to drawing projection ?

-Does the logic is to use the location of last duo inflections points and the distance beetween those points to place ( create ) the points that should exist in the last segment inflection points ?

nested function are create to simplify code .

regard's

Attachments:
nested_function.png
place_points-every100_line.png

Boyle surface fr ,en

adamw

10,447 post(s)
#12-Jan-18 08:26

Currently, to recall what units are used in a particular coordinate system, you have to inspect the definition of that coordinate system. This is not terribly user-friendly, so we will also show coordinate system units in the status bar / add them to relevant controls in the Transform pane.

Regarding the script functions - yes, AddPointsForBranch goes from segment to segment and adds points at intermediate locations when there is enough accumulated distance.

lionel

995 post(s)
#14-Jan-18 03:48

A) In mf8 , in a way when i move the mouse on a drawing coordinate must give me information about the value. In the capture screen when i move mouse on drawing the bottom status bar should show me or let me gusee the value to enter to go to one point ( align vertical in the left) to another point ( locate in the right ) .Only the projected scale choice in tool -> option let me see value that help me choose value for move point .

In mfd9 show both projected and not is nice efficient

i understand now how unit work ...thank's

B) It ll be nice when use shift and set parameters that the gui focus still in the shift item if we want to do it again . I see that shift parameters is still in memory that avoid me to re enter last value ( X or Y ) . why not a matrix parameter for transformation ( scale move ... should stay exist )

C) i don't see move ( horizontal or vertical ) item in the Content Transform ( Geom) Template !!!

what is the label of item for move coordinate ? I think shift ?

D) perhaps a measurement tool ll be helpfull , save in memory to be able to copy value in input form / text area !!!

regard's

Attachments:
manifold8_distanceUnit.png
mfd8_move_use_projectedCoordinate.png

Boyle surface fr ,en

adamw

10,447 post(s)
#15-Jan-18 07:40

The transform for moving geoms is named Shift.

We will make the status bar better and add a measurement tool (saving last measured value somewhere is a good idea, thanks).

lionel

995 post(s)
#25-Jan-18 23:27

it ll be nice that arrow up/ down key of keyboard or mouse wheel can be use to increment the shift X for example easely when input field has the focus .

the arrow up/Down key in keyboard behaviour now is the same than left right arrow key !!!

Because Trandsqorm show result in real time like this we can set the value not by enter the number ( re enter a number by press each key of number keypad ) but only by increment or decrement by 1 unit using arrow or wheel mouse .

A filter on template ll be also usefull to avoid slide a lot !!!

Attachments:
drawing_transform_shift.png

Boyle surface fr ,en

lionel

995 post(s)
#25-Jan-18 23:56

when use shift with check " restrict to selection" then we can't see the transformation in realtime . !!

Boyle surface fr ,en

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#26-Jan-18 08:01

Yes you can, you just have to select something first. If you restrict to selection and there is no selection, there is nothing to show.

lionel

995 post(s)
#31-Jan-18 02:40

i discover than for mfd9.0.164.9 ( 30-Jan-2018) NB nice to have date !!! & bacground task indicator

1) when check uncheck "restrict to selection " the drawing view switch to drawing with style to no style . click on item " convert to point" should already switch to no style drawing .. not only when click on " restrict to selection " !!

2) when resize the windows by handle from bottom and go up ( to top) then the green area go under orange area but over blue area !! see the red arrow move . the green area seem define to go to bottom but can't overlap the orange area !!!

regard's

Attachments:
gui_rendering_when_resize_guiApp.png

Boyle surface fr ,en

adamw

10,447 post(s)
#31-Jan-18 08:23

1 - maybe the red area is just naturally red and is not selected? That would explain why the preview of Convert to Point restricted to selection does not convert it to point.

2 - we will fix the layout of controls when the pane gets scrambled into a tiny size. You won't be able to see most of the controls, but they won't overlap. Thanks for the screen! :-)

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#31-Jan-18 08:26

we will fix the layout of controls when the pane gets scrambled into a tiny size. You won't be able to see most of the controls, but they won't overlap. Thanks for the screen! :-)

Strongly disagree. There are far greater priorities than trying to mitigate the impact of willfully insane things like trying to see what the controls do when you reduce the size of the window to an absurdly too-small size.

There is nothing wrong with paying users the respect of assuming they will apply common sense in such matters.

lionel

995 post(s)
#31-Jan-18 10:17

It was not my aim. I have so many open application that i resize all and discover this ( '' pur hasard'').

Boyle surface fr ,en

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#31-Jan-18 08:24

1) when check uncheck "restrict to selection " the drawing view switch to drawing with style to no style . click on item " convert to point" should already switch to no style drawing .. not only when click on " restrict to selection " !!

If you choose a template that converts areas to points, the template will preview the results of what it is going to do. Points are not areas, so when points are shown in the preview those points will not be drawn as areas.

In any event, previews use blue preview color, not colors assigned by styles.

2) when resize the windows by handle from bottom and go up ( to top) then the green area go under orange area but over blue area !! see the red arrow move . the green area seem define to go to bottom but can't overlap the orange area !!!

This is a case where the software expects the user to apply common sense.

If you resize a window so the controls cannot possibly fit into it, yes, the system cannot place all the controls as it would like. Do not reduce the size of sophisticated applications into windows that are so small the controls cannot fit.

Anybody who wants to test that idea can resize the web page for this forum thread into a window that is 2 cm x 2 cm (or, about 1 inch by 1 inch in the US...). The web page will look strange because such a small window does not allow room for the contents. Same with Manifold, Microsoft Word, PhotoShop, Oracle, Visual Studio and other sophisticated applications.

lionel

995 post(s)
#14-Jan-18 04:18

Hi

1) microsoft mathematics support matrix so also office software ( notes , word µ... ) and can be export in raw text or mathml .

2) Does Z is manage internaly by SQL engine like X Y in Manifold 9 ?

3)Does segment mean the "line" beetween 2 inflections points in manifold term ?

4) measurement tool must use by default snap and way to fixe first selection and 2sd selection !!

Regard's

Attachments:
matrix_move.png

Boyle surface fr ,en

adamw

10,447 post(s)
#15-Jan-18 07:51

Yes, 'segment' means a line between two 'inflection points' in 8-speak (now, we just say 'coordinates').

Regarding Z - we allow storing Z data in geometry values and provide means to access them from queries and scripts. There are several transforms which use Z, too (for now, just several primitive things).

lionel

995 post(s)
#14-Jan-18 04:34

about Z ...this make many Z to manage

- for height of point on earth ( not really attach to layer concept .....)

- for shape inside drawing

- for layer inside map

- for layer inside Layout

regards

Boyle surface fr ,en

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.