Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Labels not printing in export
dchall8
1,008 post(s)
#21-Jun-16 15:07

I used to export to PDF a lot and know I had this working, but not today. The biggest thing I've changed is going from 32-bit to 64-bit Manifold. When I open the file in 32-bit the labels show fine, but they're not there at all in 64-bit. Is there a switch I need to throw in 64?

Graeme

990 post(s)
#22-Jun-16 06:50

Nothing springs to mind - any chance of posting a sample map / some screenshots of your project in 64 / 32?

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#22-Jun-16 07:21

When I open the file in 32-bit

What file? Do you mean a PDF file?

When I open the file in 32-bit the labels show fine, but they're not there at all in 64-bit.

If by "the file" you mean the PDF file, what software are you using to view the PDF?

I could be wrong about this but supposedly a PDF is a PDF. If the PDF has content in it you're supposed to be able to view it whether you are looking at it with 32-bit PDF software, in Linux, in 64-bit operating systems, in Apple operating systems, etc.

If you can see labels in a PDF when you open it with some sort of 32-bit PDF software but then you do not see the same content in exactly the same PDF when you open it with some sort of 64-bit PDF software... well, isn't that a question for the provider of your 64-bit PDF viewing software?

dchall8
1,008 post(s)
#22-Jun-16 14:27

Ref 32 or 64 bit: I'm referring to Manifold 32-bit or 64-bit. When I have my .map file open in the 64-bit version of Manifold, the labels don't export in the PDF export. When I open the same file in the 32-bit version of Manifold, the labels export to PDF just fine.

I tried to shrink my .map file by eliminating all the images, drawings, tables, and parcels all the way down to one table with one parcel and one label, but the size is still 4MB. Apparently that is too large to attach to these messages, so while I would like to attach the file, I'm not sure how.

Graeme

990 post(s)
#23-Jun-16 02:05

Happy to have a look and see whether I can replicate your issues - email your map to me (address in profile)?

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#23-Jun-16 09:04

Very interesting. Some questions...

1. What happens when you try exporting a layout that just shows a drawing (no labels) to PDF in 32/64 bit?

2. What happens when you using a different font or format for labels?

3. Does everything else export perfectly (images, drawings, formatting, etc.) in 32/64 bit?

4. What exactly is the process you use to export to PDF, including all settings in every dialog? What happens when you try different combinations of options?

For example...

the labels don't export

That doesn't give details, as right-clicking onto a Labels component in the Project pane and choosing Export does not have an option of exporting to PDF in Release 8. You probably use the labels component in a map and then use that map in a layout and then export the layout as an image, or something like that, right?

Without more details it's tough to guess what is going on or to suggest a possible workaround. I've just exported a bunch of layouts that include labels to PDF using 64-bit Manifold 8.00 and they all export fine. So whatever is going on it's not something that is guaranteed 100% to happen all the time.

To investigate it is really important to provide lots and lots of detail on absolutely everything you are doing and all relevant things about your system, for example, what version of Windows you are using, whether you have any virtualization going on, etc. It could be a bug in 64-bit Manifold's PDF drivers (which, of course, are slightly different than the 32-bit ones) or it could be something else that is absolutely off the wall like some intellectual property rights bit set in the font you are using that is recognized in 64-bits but not in 32-bits. I don't think it is the latter but I include that to show how you have to look at every last danged detail in such matters and take absolutely nothing for granted.

One last thing: as always, it is critically important to make sure you are using the latest update for Manifold and that also you have all updates installed for your Windows system, for your video card drivers, etc. Every option in the Export PDF File dialog could be vulnerable to odd incompatibilities that a not-yet-installed upgrade might resolve.

Tech support always insists on having all the latest updates because there's no point chasing bugs before first eliminating the possibility that a bug which has already been fixed somewhere is the cause.

dchall8
1,008 post(s)
#06-Jul-16 17:48

When preparing to reply to Dimitri's questions, the printing problem seemed to disappear. That tells me it's operator error or system updates. We have a service that keeps our systems up to date, but when I checked, there were a few updates to do. Don't know if that made the difference, but the problem is gone.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.