Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - LOCAL PROJECTION TO UNIVERSAL PROJECTION
mao90210
84 post(s)
#11-May-16 04:28

good day masters, i need your help please

i have a polygon or area of our entire region which has its own coordinate system called PRS92.. our country composed of 5 Zones, our region belongs to zone 5 particularly..

the projection of this in manifold is PHILIPPINE GRIDS ZONE 5, WGS 84.

now i want it to convert into UTM N51 (LUZON - PHILIPPINES MINDANAO), with the area remains UNCHANGED.

may i know how to do it? i am CONFUSED.

Attachments:
ZONE5.MAP

tjhb
10,094 post(s)
#11-May-16 06:00

Please don't SHOUT. (If you need to capitalize something, how about the beginnings of sentences, or the word I.)

Which section of the manual confuses you?

Proceeding step by step, where are you stuck?

Are you comfortable with the different roles of Assign Projection and Change Projection? Many people are not, at first.

volker

1,086 post(s)
#11-May-16 09:01

Like Tim wrote: the Manifold manual is the first step you should do.

But for your problem:

1. Assign projection -> ok

2. Change projection to

and all looks fine:

Have a look at the attachement.

Attachments:
ZONE5.MAP

http://www.thegisservicesector.de

mao90210
84 post(s)
#11-May-16 16:51

Thank you volker,

The wgs 84 datum should remain unchanged?.. is there any distortion?

volker

1,086 post(s)
#11-May-16 20:12

WGS 84 is correct for UTM.

For Germany i use the Geodetic Reference 1980 but is more or less the same like WGS84.

And to your other question: rk have written all whats to know about assign/change projection.

At the beginning working with projections is a little confusion, but this is a important part of

the daily business to work with geodata.

http://www.thegisservicesector.de

mao90210
84 post(s)
#12-May-16 06:38

Okay, Thank you very much .

mao90210
84 post(s)
#11-May-16 16:47

Im so sorry. i wasnt conscious about the capitalization thing . believed me i didnt shout..hehe .sorry for my english.. thank you for your help..

youre right, i am confused about the difference b/w assining to changing projection im doing the best i can to understand the manual..as what i understand that as long as i know the original projection i should assign it first, and then change it after to my desired projection.. is this correct?. im just only a newbie..

thanks a lot

rk
621 post(s)
#11-May-16 18:23

You can think of it as this: You import something. It happens to have correct projection data within/beside it that Manifold can read. When you open Assign Projection then you see if the projection info is correct. If it is correct then you click OK. You have Assigned or in this case *confirmed* the projection. Then you can Change (transform) projection. If at import there is no projection info then Manifold imports it as Orthographic. Then you usually have to Assign a different projection.

tjhb
10,094 post(s)
#11-May-16 23:42

Another way, which might also help:

Assign Projection tells Manifold how to interpret the data. Where it belongs: where to put it and how it should be scaled. Assigning a (different) projection does not change the actual data—not a single number is changed—but it does shift where the data is shown.

Change Projection does not shift the data, but changes all the numbers. It changes the values for every single coordinate (normally) so that the data will appear in exactly the same place in the new projection.

mao90210
84 post(s)
#12-May-16 06:36

thank you very much.. now i get it.

mao90210
84 post(s)
#12-May-16 06:36

Thank you.. noted

cab76 post(s)
#29-May-16 10:27

Hi mao90210,

regarding projections in the Philippines and questions regarding Manifold.

you can email oss at namria dot gov dot ph

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.