Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Authentication error afetr Windows 7 crash
orerockon

392 post(s)
#01-Sep-15 15:01

I had a pretty serious crash of Win 7 x64 and managed to repair it using the repair tool on the installation disk and a lot of reboots. I know that MFD need to communicate with their server to authenticate the license, and Windows doesn't know it is online. IE doesn't work and it looks like any Win processes that need an internet connection fail. But the crazy thing is, some programs, most notably Firefox and Outlook, know they are online and behave as expected. Is there a way to troubleshoot Win and get it to realize it's online? Troubleshooter and MS FixIts fail to work as well. I've been hunting around for hours now, trying various fixes, but I don't see anyone with this exact problem. FWIW the only other error message I get is PrivacyIconClient.exe fatal error, which I also can't find a way to fix.

tjhb
10,094 post(s)
#02-Sep-15 00:24

I know that MFD need to communicate with their server to authenticate the license, ...

Not true. Once Manifold is activated, it doesn't care if you never go online again. (And indeed you can activate without ever going online, if you choose. But I digress.)

What you have is a broken Windows installation that you've partly recovered.

It's not the same after recovery (it might take a week to work out why, but it might well be hard-disk related), and Manifold doesn't recognize the system.

There's nothing you can do to fix that now. You'll need a new Windows installation (probably) then a new activation of Manifold (definitely).

And then... how about using imaging software, so that if and when this happens again, you can recover everything (including activations) in 20 minutes? I'd recommend Terabyte Image for Windows.

P.s. check your hard disks thoroughly before the new installation. One of them might be failing, or about to fail (that's a guess). Check the SMART attributes for each drive, especially the CRC errors (should be 0).

orerockon

392 post(s)
#02-Sep-15 19:17

I figured it out, I had to reset Administrator permissions for Windows system folders from the command line. Don't ask me why that would be, but it worked. MFD fired right up, let's hope it stays that way. I do use Acronis Backup & Recovery, which had failed to make an image when the 3 TB backup drive got too low on space to hold another image, Acronis failed to delete the oldest image, and didn't feel it was necessary to notify me. Will definitely look into Terabyte. FWIW, IE is the only app that doesn't want to play along (and refuses to update itself) out of at least 20 I have tried so far.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.