Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Can you change the default size that a drawing (or map) when it is dragged into a layout?
tgazzard
146 post(s)
#07-Aug-15 05:57

Hi,

Is it possible to change the default size that a drawing (or map) displays at when it is dragged into a layout.

At the moment it appears in the layout as a square 50mm by 50mm. I would like to get to appear at 100mm by 100m.

I know I can then adjust the size manually. But I have a couple of hundred drawings to drag into several layouts.

Thanks

Tim G.

KlausDE

6,410 post(s)
#07-Aug-15 07:39

Is there any reason why you don't collect alls the data in only one drawing? That would ease a solution.

Do you really want to ruin economy only to save the planet?

tgazzard
146 post(s)
#07-Aug-15 10:03

Hi Klaus,

The drawings all use the same spatial data. It is just the attributes that change. So it would be possible to have lots of columns. I tried using themes (or even dragging the same drawing in a second time) but even though I change the size of the first version of the drawing that I dragged in, the next version is still 50mm by 50mm. Mmmm.

Tim

KlausDE

6,410 post(s)
#07-Aug-15 10:34

Why don't you use a singel drawing for all georeferened data, create a unique ID and link or create a relation for the other attributes. You then only have to change the relation or the query used to create a linked drawing and can control the layout scope by view.

tgazzard
146 post(s)
#07-Aug-15 11:12

Thanks Klaus.

I did play with views - but will give it another go. I will see if I can get it to work.

KlausDE

6,410 post(s)
#07-Aug-15 15:58

Setting the layout scope to view is not the major advice. Your problem doesn't exist if you don't change the component displayed in the layout.

So you do not change the the component but only the data in that component. And let the layout untouched.

This means you should seperate the constant spatial data in one drawing and hold the many attributs in one or more tables. You can stay with the Drawing Tables you have. Combine them as you currently need.

I understand that you need as few steps as possible to change design from data in one table to those in another table. Especially busy steps should be avoided.

You could change a relation docking one of the attribute tables to the drawing. But when you drop the relation to the previous data the thematic formating bound to a column in that table ist lost.

You can avoid this by joining the Drawing and one of the tables in a query and create a linked Drawing.

This way you Change the text of the query and ajust the FROM <table> clause and possibly a <column-in-table> AS alias to the column used for thematic formating, refresh the linked drawing to print the next set of data.

tgazzard
146 post(s)
#10-Aug-15 01:29

Hi Klaus,

It was the weekend and I stopped working on this for a couple of days.

You ideas are good ones. And this is essentially what I ended up doing See the screen grab below.

But instead of putting drawings directly into layout. I put the drawings in the maps (180 maps) and put the maps into the layout. This way I can update the maps with new drawings in the future. But maintain the size of the drawing.

But it still didn't overcome the initial problem. That is, I still had to individually resize 180 maps to 100mm by 100mm. But I now have a template I can use for this problem into the future.

I am a very poor script writer. But I wondered if there would be a way to change the size by script?

Tim.

tgazzard
146 post(s)
#11-Aug-15 07:13

There was a trick to this that took me a while to discover.

The zoom level on the layout determines the size that that drawing or map initially displays at.

So if you have it zoomed to 25% of the layout window than the map/drawing will appear as 84mm by 84mm.

If you zoom to 50%, then the map/drawing is 41mm by 41mm.

So it gets smaller.

Note I have the layout set with a paper size of A1.

Tim G

tgazzard
146 post(s)
#11-Aug-15 23:37

The final thing that I did to make this all work was create three map projects. One of each attribute that I wanted to display. This meant that I could keep the layout outputs from each attribute without having to create a new layout and insert all the drawings into the layout (which was the slowest bit to do).

And using the script in the following thread I could change all the drawings in a couple of minutes by running 120 sub routines.

http://www.georeference.org/forum/t127896.5

The downside of this approach is if you have update your attribute table (which I will have to do), I have to do this in three projects. But with a sequence of queries that link to the drawings this isn't a big deal.

Thanks for you help.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.