Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Hosting IMS websites on virtual servers
brian34gaber8 post(s)
#24-Jul-15 03:22

I've been researching the capabilities of working with a cloud server service for hosting IMS sites. I just got off a chat with GoDaddy, where I have some other accounts, and inquired about IMS compatibility with their server packages.

A couple of questions came up that I am looking to resolve regarding Manifold IMS and their servers.

One is a port question...I've copied the exchange below:

Taj -

• You can use IMS with our VPS or Dedicated Servers. We do have some ports that are blocked by default. I would just need to know what port you're planning on using just to make sure it isn't a permanently blocked port.

• Taj -

As you would have root level access to the server, you can install any applications that you want on the server. We just wouldn't be able to support you with administering your server or your application. We would only be able to assist you with accessing the server itself.

• you -

Ok...so it is possible. I am trying to map out possibilities. Owning my own server has drawbacks.

• you -

The port thing, I don't understand

• Taj -

If your application requires a specific port to be open (not http port 80), you can open most ports from your firewall. However, there are some ports that we have permanently blocked. If your application requires a specific port, I can tell you if that port is permanently blocked or not in our network.

The other question had to do with their GUI for their managed server. It's called Plesk. They have an option of a user managed server as well. The exchange was:

you -

• One other procedural or technical question...Manifold says "The Manifold Internet Map Server (IMS) is a built-in part of every Manifold System edtion from Professional Edition on up. When Manifold is installed on a machine running a compatible web server (such as Microsoft IIS), Manifold IMS will work together with the web server to GIS-enable web sites"...I am assuming that I would need to pay for hosting of the GIS enabled sites I create and host on the server? Just trying to understand. I am proficient with the GIS, but learning the rest on the fly.

• Taj -

Your server can also host websites if that is what you're asking. Depending on what you're doing, you may want to get a self-managed server if you plan on managing your websites and the manifold IMS through IIS directly.

The Plesk control panel may work for you, but if you're not familiar with the control panel, configuring IIS and Plesk may be difficult for you. Plesk would only be useful for managing websites themselves and not many other applications.

• you -

I would only be putting a "runtime" license on the server, and doing all the developement of the GIS enabled sites on my computer. I would then put the finished files for the sites on the server. I would only need access to the server for putting the files in the right place

• you -

Does that make sense? Manifold has two options...put the whole software on the server...OR a runtime license

• Taj -

I see. The system requirements specified on your link states that this would work on the Windows server, I'm just not certain if your license will play nicely with the websites you've configured on Plesk or not.

In the event that it doesn't, you can choose to switch to self-managed. Our refund policy allows 48 hours for a credit/refund for monthly purchases and up to 45 days for a full credit/refund for any annual term purchased.

• you -

Oh...Ok. Self Managed is like access to the directory structure and Managed has user interface (Plesk)?

• Taj -

Yes. Self-Managed would give you Remote Desktop Access and you would manage your server entirely this way.

Managed would include the Plesk control panel, which is a GUI for adding/hosting domains and many site/server configurations. In a lot of ways, Plesk makes it easier to host websites, but it can also be harder if you need to make a lot of manual configurations to IIS directly. (Your application might need to do this)

• Taj -

So you may even want to check on compatibility with the Plesk control panel if possible.

Does anyone know if Plesk is compatible with hosting IMS websites with Manifold, OR should self managed be the way to go?

brian34gaber8 post(s)
#28-Jul-15 04:21

This is a first. I've been on this community for YEARS, and this is the first no answer. NO ONE is using a cloud server for their Manifold IMS?

cartomatic

905 post(s)
#28-Jul-15 08:24

cloud can be a very different thing depending on a scenario... for example something like an Azure instance that can be added / removed automatically on demand or just a dedicated server or vps that you can take care of. Current manifold version will not work well with instances that can be shut down, restored, etc - you would quickly run out of license keys...

Not sure what you can do with plesk (remember about being able to activate manifold, set folder / file privileges, etc), but for our dedicated servers (we do not host them, so yes, they're in cloud, but not in a fully automated one as Azure for example) I use just the rdp access. And you i do pretty much anything with the machine.

maps made easy - www.cartomatic.pl || www.cartoninjas.net

joebocop
514 post(s)
#30-Jul-15 01:37

In the help document, under "Activation Keys and Serial Numbers", there is a section that reads:

"Keep in mind standalone Manifold licenses are licensed for standard Windows installations on physical machines. Standalone licenses are not licensed for virtual machines (use License Server with appropriate numbers of floating licenses)."

I am not a lawyer and am not attempting to give a legal opinion on the matter, but we have not deployed our Manifold standalone licenses on any cloud-hosted or virtual machines as a result of this limitation. We do not have any floating licenses.

Maybe this is helpful, but also maybe it's not. FWIW, then.

cartomatic

905 post(s)
#30-Jul-15 07:53

We rent physical boxes, so their 'cloudiness' is not a problem. Not sure if installing on virtual machines brings any legal issues though. the main problem from my perspective would be activations drying up quickly. legal stuff could also be a problem.

maps made easy - www.cartomatic.pl || www.cartoninjas.net

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.