Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - A new blog post that might be of interest - Manifold Systems Radian Engine
artlembo

3,400 post(s)
#22-May-15 20:30

I just received permission to blog about some of the experimental things that Manifold Systems, Ltd. is doing - namely, some modifications they made to their Radian engine that may become part of a future GIS product. It has been a fun process, albeit tiring as the software is in a truly developmental stage with no documentation, and really a barebones engine.

You can read my first blog post about it here. I ran an intersection analysis with a number of different products along with the Radian engine. I plan to release more of my findings in the weeks ahead - perhaps even some screen captures or videos.

Please note, I will only be speaking about my experimentation with Radian on my blog - I am sorry, but I am unable to answer any personal emails about it since it is not a public product. Also, please note that since I do not work for Manifold Systems, Ltd., I don't know any information about when or if the product will come out - in this area, I am as clueless as the next guy :-)

dale

630 post(s)
#22-May-15 23:46

Your testing results show the promise we have been expecting. The implementation of CPU core count in SQL looks sublimely simple. Keep posting!

RonHendrickson
283 post(s)
#26-May-15 16:36

Art, thanks so much for the fascinating info. Let's hope it does materialize as a public product.

Question, does the parallel processing work with Manifold's GUI, or in the SQL statements only?

artlembo

3,400 post(s)
#26-May-15 16:41

at the moment, we are working with a very stripped down product - mostly just working with the engine. It is mostly to check for bugs and responses to different parameters. I fully expect that the GUI will operate the same way.

joebocop
514 post(s)
#26-May-15 17:43

Interesting stuff, artlembo. The tests you are performing are with regards to parallel CPU threading, and not GPU threading, correct?

artlembo

3,400 post(s)
#26-May-15 17:49

so far, yes. I am going to the UCGIS Conference, and when I return I will post some more findings and experiences.

dale

630 post(s)
#27-May-15 04:30

Art, for the record, some of us not participating in the experimental testing obviously appreciate the approved release of some information, more so that it comes from those testing, rather than a marketing department.

I'm looking forward to seeing more results, they have direct bearing on tasks I do on ever increasingly large datasets.

artlembo

3,400 post(s)
#03-Jun-15 21:38

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have another post up here. The discussion is related to some large datasets I am working with, and how the Radian SQL engine allows DISTANCE and WITHIN queries to run in multiple threads - and its fast!

But, just a heads-up, there will be another post tomorrow that will be of real interest - multiple statements in SQL queries, direct query of linked databases using the native SQL language of the linked database, and mixing and matching Manifold SQL with the SQL of the native database - all in the same query - sheesh!.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.