Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Error Message 'Can't Open File'
meenu6 post(s)
#19-May-15 09:39

Hi,

I am using Manifold at my work and we have been having an issue with opening Manifold files on multiple locations. We ensure that the file is not open at the same time on two PCs, but still we get the error message 'Can’t Open File'' and the file is no longer usable afterwards (a screenshot attached). This happens only for some files though and started happening a few days ago. We have multiple licenses for Manifold on the different PCs and not a network license. We save our files on a common server/hard-drive connected to our boss's computer.

When I look at the properties for these corrupt files, the Security tab says 'No groups or users have permission to access this object. However, the owner of the object can assign permissions.' I have attached a screenshot showing the message under security settings. We tried but couldn't change the security settings to make it accessible to others, even from our boss's computer which is where the files are stored over the network. Maybe we are not tech savvy enough to work out how to do it. If so any help is appreciated. I am not sure if this is the reason for the error message though.

Does anyone have an idea to as why we might be getting the error message only on some files? Is it related to the security settings? If so, why is it happening only with some files and others work fine? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you very much

Meenu

Attachments:
Manifold Corrupt File Security Settings.JPG
Manifold Error Message.JPG

Gustavo Palminha

1,010 post(s)
#19-May-15 11:06

It looks like your problem is really the lack of permissions but the file owner should be able to open it.

If not a permissions problem then you could have a corrupt component inside the file, usually an image.

Stay connected:

Linkedin >> http://www.linkedin.com/in/gustavopalminha

Twitter >> http://twitter.com/gustavopalminha

Other >> http://www.spatialmentor.com

meenu6 post(s)
#16-Jun-15 02:25

I am afraid the problem arises with all files that are opened on this particular PC (Boss's computer) and not on any other computers. The file doesn't seem to be 'Corrupt' but just locked and not accessible by any of the computers/users. Whenever we open a file on our boss's computer, it does that now. Do you think it's a virus infection?

Any help would be appreciated as we have been having this problem for over a month now.

dchall8
1,008 post(s)
#16-Jun-15 15:21

I had this issue for awhile and ended up recreating lots of work before finding a solution. At least once a month I bring pictures into Manifold and georegister them. I was getting the Can't Open File message about once every 2 months. For the past 6 months I have stopped using the Save button/menu and use only Save As to save files. With hard drives as cheap as they are, I have hundreds of files archived. I'm never more than a few hours beyond my last save as, so glitches hurt a lot less than losing months of work.

Is there a way to ensure the boss only opens copies of files? Does he do any work on the files or is he just viewing them? My boss doesn't edit, but she needs to use the results of my work. Every week I export an updated KML file for her to view with Google Earth and she's extremely happy.

adamw

10,447 post(s)
#18-Jun-15 13:03

The "Can't open file" error is thrown when Manifold fails to reopen the (potentially, just saved) file. If Save fails on this step, but Save As doesn't, it does indeed seem like an issue with some external service or software - ie, an antivirus / search helper that tries to read the original file when you write to it, but isn't fast enough to lock the file created by Save As, because it is a new one.

meenu6 post(s)
#21-Jul-15 04:29

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your input. There seemed to be an issue with my boss's profile and once we re-did his profile, the problem with the manifold files didn't come up again. We could actually open those files we thought were 'corrupted', but actually weren't. They were just not accessible once the boss tried to open them with his old profile. Changing the profile resolved the issue.

Thought I should let you know how the problem was resolved, so that it might be useful to some of you in the future (I pray you won't have this issue though).

Thanks again for all the input.

Best regards

Meenu

JohnW3 post(s)
#03-Jun-17 21:18

We ran into this after saving large (1GB) files. Our fix (Win7) was to open Windows Explorer, right-click on the file name, then select Properties. Under the Security tab, Groups or Users window was the message "No groups or users have permission to access this object." Click Edit. Click Add. Type in the name of the user(s) you want to have access, then Okay. You should now see the user or group in the Groups window. Highlight the user you just added, then in the lower window click the box next to Full Control. Click Okay twice.

It worked for me.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.