Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Manifold Integration with Multi-Tenanted SQL Server
ChristopherG42 post(s)
#20-Apr-15 09:47

Hi,

We are attempting to integrate Manifold / SQL Server (sql server native geometry) / D3.js/Leaflet web mapping. We have been using Manifold since v4.5 but this is new ground for us and I wondered if anyone can shed some light on best practices to adopt for when the SQL Server end is multi-tenanted.

On a pilot scale we have an SQL Server table with geometry column linked into Manifold for editing. We are also able to extract the data out with a stored procedure into a geoJSON file for Leaflet to display. However the scale-up is problematic due to potentially having multiple clients accessing the SQL DB with their GIS's.

So far we have tried:

1. A where clause in the Database Console window for the data linking. Does not work as the bottom text area where the query is defined seems to only allow table linking. If a Drawing is linked (File-Link-Drawing) to the linked SQL table, it is read only. Note that we would only use this method if it could be done programmatically.

2. SQL Views are sometime editable depending on the underlying query. Unfortunately client specific views wont work as a view with a geometry column is also read only.

We are considering dynamically adding client specific SQL Tables to hold only their spatial data and perhaps using triggers to ensure a central repository remains updated.

Appreciate if anyone has any other approaches or suggestions on how we might tackle this.

Thank you

Chris

Gustavo Palminha

1,010 post(s)
#20-Apr-15 11:26

Did you try using the Server Console? If so why it doesn't work for you?

From what you describe the Database Console options is not the best on for that type of use.

Stay connected:

Linkedin >> http://www.linkedin.com/in/gustavopalminha

Twitter >> http://twitter.com/gustavopalminha

Other >> http://www.spatialmentor.com

ChristopherG42 post(s)
#20-Apr-15 17:05

Hi Gustavo.

We already store most of our master, base data-sets in an Enterprise Server administered through the server console.

However we specifically need to use SQL Servers geometry type in a standard, SQL Server managed table order to do three things;

1. Store operations related geoms eg work order areas that share key fields with the text based data

2. Be consistent with and leverage the relational aspects of our enterprise database schema

3. Provide geoJSON data to the javascript web maps displayed within our application.

The trick for us figuring out how to get a seamless editing experience within Manifold that also respects data security built into the schema.

Chris

Gustavo Palminha

1,010 post(s)
#20-Apr-15 17:14

Hello Cris,

Considering you 3 point... "Provide geoJSON data to the javascript web maps displayed within our application." I would chose one of 2 options:

• Use Server Console and setup all Manifold worksations as clients to edit (check in/out) drawings. If you need to use SQL Server geoms and create any specific logic you could create a batch job to do the ETL process of converting the drawing component into a table with you specific geom.
  • Use leaflet or OpenLayers as a client and create a web editor saving data inside SQL Server which could be edited back into Manifold.

By choosing the first or second option may depend on other details like how many clients you would need, what type of logic you need.

Regards.

Stay connected:

ChristopherG42 post(s)
#20-Apr-15 17:37

I think your Option 1 would work in a single network/ multiple client environment. However I must belatedly clarify the term 'client' here. We have a browser-based, common application platform that serves application modules to multiple client company groups.

Each company group can have multiple subsidiaries and users. Of course they can be located anywhere in the world and are possibly not even be using Manifold. Client groups and companies using Manifold can naturally set up an Manifold Enterprise Server on a locally hosted SQL instance to handle their base data i.e. data not related to our application platform modules.

However for application module related data, it must be stored on our servers and within the schema. What we were hoping to do for Manifold using client groups (including our own companies) is give them linked, RW access to their data only. Limiting data access seems to be the sticky bit.

Your Option 2 makes me think that this is not possible and that we should rather be looking to build full editing functionality into a browser based app.

Am I understanding you correctly?

Gustavo Palminha

1,010 post(s)
#20-Apr-15 19:36

Am I understanding you correctly?

I think so from what you describe.

I think your Option 1 would work in a single network/ multiple client environment...

In a single network would be better but if your users are spread around but have a fast internet connection it could also work. I guess it depends the amount of data to be transferred around. For this option I was considering that all of them must be using Manifold, because it would be easier to setup (specially user permissions).

Considering what you describe above, I partially agree when you say....

Option 2 makes me think that this is not possible and that we should rather be looking to build full editing functionality into a browser based app.

You are building something like this functionality no matter what option you choose. Depending the path you take, it will reflect the amount of "coding time" and/or setting up SQL Server ETL tools to provide the solution you refer.

If you need decide to build a browser based editing app it also depends on what editing features you need. To create point, likes or polygons you can use any of the existing javascript libraries that have this functionality, but much more than this it won't be an easy task and you will need a bigger budget.

Stay connected:

ChristopherG42 post(s)
#21-Apr-15 01:16

Hi Gustavo,

Apologies for the slow reply. We had a power failure here and as it was after midnight already, I though a kip was in order.

As you say though, the construction of a full browser based editing UI is a big task and one that is certainly beyond us. There are a few more things we want to try on the Manifold end as it seem odd that it cannot be done. In principal though, I think an Sql Server based data segregation solution is doable.

Thank you for the feedback!

For anyone late to the thread, I am left with the following assumption.

"There is currently no way in Manifold to select a subset (by attribute not bounding) of SQL Server Geometry records from an SQL Server instance that will result in a linked, editable Drawing."

If you disagree, please let me know!

Chris

adaptagis

633 post(s)
#21-Apr-15 08:37

Hi there

If I were you, I would use a Manifold TECH instance and ask them directly to cope with this.

cartomatic

905 post(s)
#21-Apr-15 08:45

how about sql server updatable views or views with instead of insert/update/delete triggers?

maps made easy - www.cartomatic.pl || www.cartoninjas.net

ChristopherG42 post(s)
#21-Apr-15 13:29

Hi,

Cartomatic, your prod got me testing SQL views again and I found that the view is actually editable...sort of!

After I link in the Drawing from the SQL view, I can add areas etc. What I had noticed before was that the features I added in the linked view would disappear on refresh but now I know why.

Although I can add features ie. edit the geom, the other fields cant take a value - possibly because the record - has not yet been committed to SQL version. Even if I edit the attribution using 'Instant Data' it wont stick.

The problem this creates is that without attribution, the filtered view query will not return the new data upon refresh.

Still checking if there is a way around this but any thoughts appreciated.

Chris

cartomatic

905 post(s)
#21-Apr-15 13:50

i have looked at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms180800(v=sql.110).aspx and https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187956(v=sql.110).aspx and it looks like the views should be updateable when you either create it wirth 'WITH VIEW_METADATA' or use INSTEAD OF triggers. The latter would be handy for joined tables, computed values, etc.

I would use sql server profiler to see what manifold sends out. Not sure why the objects are not editable (some kind of invalid where clause perhaps?). In such case a view with triggers could potentially account for this.

ChristopherG42 post(s)
#21-Apr-15 14:07

Not sure if we are talking cross purposes now. So to clarify, the geoms and their attributes linked in from SQL server are editable. But when I add a new feature, the attribute edits dont get saved back into SQL Server. The result being that the view query does not return the data on refresh.

I also thought of an instead of trigger but importantly the attribute edits cant even be made inside Manifold, so I dont think they are being passed in to SQL at all. Will try though.

ChristopherG42 post(s)
#21-Apr-15 15:10

I have an Instead of Insert trigger on the View but no luck. The new SQL record gets created and the geom is loaded but the attribution is lost. It appears that it is not making it out of Manifold.

jkelly

1,234 post(s)
#22-Apr-15 01:44

I'd back up what cartomatic mentioned, crack out the Sql Server Profiler and see exactly what is being sent down the wire. If a trigger fails, then no error is bubbled up, which could be causing some issues, I know this has manifested for me in the past as geom getting committed, but attributes not.

James Kelly

http://www.locationsolve.com

ChristopherG42 post(s)
#22-Apr-15 07:18

Caromatic/James

I am using Express so had to find a 3rd party profiler addin (Express Profiler v2.0). Below is the code from a sequence of tests. Note the the view is filtered by company code 'co_code' and I have removed the instead insert trigger.

What I noted:

- The 'co_code' is correctly blank in the initial insert as I have not edited the attributes yet

- The OID, which is an identity column in SQL, is correctly captured back into in Manifold immediatly upon geom insert.

- Despite the OID being correct in the SQL raised by the 'instant data - pre refresh' edit, the sql fails to update the master table.

- Despite the code in the 'after refresh' update test being identical to the code in the 'instant data - pre refresh' update, this time it works.

I am starting to think that the issue is:

- Although the data is inserted through the view, the view query excludes it immediately as there is no company code. Consequently the update statement, which is run against the view, is trying to act on a record not in the view record set.

The only way this can/should work is for Manifold to only submit the GEOM to SQL Server when manually triggered to do so. To do this requires Manifold to cache the Drawings locally which it does not seem to do. For the record I have all local caching options turned on.

--- 1. The following SQL is captured immediately on mouse-up in the Manifold Drawing after adding an area

code

declare @p1 int

set @p1=17

exec sp_prepexec @p1 output,N'@P1 int,@P2 char(10),@P3 image',N'INSERT INTO "dbo"."gis_v_test_co_A"("Version", "co_code", "Geometry") VALUES(@P1, @P2, Geometry::STGeomFromWKB(@P3, 4326))',0,NULL,0x010300000001000000050000006E2AEC1102465D4051E2C154F3051A4043D471A803465D40814DC1ED35051A40E9D3CB1A13465D4051A395C943051A40142A468411465D40A57F1CBD0C061A406E2AEC1102465D4051E2C154F3051A40

select @p1

go

declare @p1 int

set @p1=18

exec sp_prepexec @p1 output,NULL,N'SELECT @@IDENTITY';

select @p1;

go;

--- 2. Immediately after I submit the Instant Data dialog with a new 'co_code' value, this SQL fired but was not successful:

code

declare @p1 int

set @p1=19

exec sp_prepexec @p1 output,N'@P1 char(10),@P2 int',N'UPDATE "dbo"."gis_v_test_co_A" SET "co_code" = @P1 WHERE "OID" = @P2','A ',2024

select @p1

go

--- 3. If I update the 'co_code' value in the management studio so that the geom is returned int the view

--- AND then edit the 'co_code' value again in Manifold, the following sql runs and is successful:

code

declare @p1 int

set @p1=16

exec sp_prepexec @p1 output,N'@P1 char(10),@P2 int',N'UPDATE "dbo"."gis_v_test_co_A" SET "co_code" = @P1 WHERE "OID" = @P2','B ',2024

select @p1

go

cartomatic

905 post(s)
#22-Apr-15 08:21

you might be right that the update does not work as the view filters on the code and the newly inserted record cannot be updated as it simply does not exist in the view's data subset.

when adding a new object (even with the instant data on) manifold first inserts a geom with all the other fields empty and then tries to update them in a separate go. This has been mentioned as problematic many times when you have not null constraints.

ChristopherG42 post(s)
#22-Apr-15 08:54

I tried to get clever with having an update trigger on the view that collects the values from 'inserted' and then performs updates directly on the underlying table. It works for UPDATEs but not during the insert/update sequence. Note sure why though because Manifold already has the correct id as evidenced by the update code caught by the profiler.

CODE

create trigger [dbo].[gis_t_iu_v_test_a]

on [dbo].[gis_v_test_co_A]

instead of UPDATE

as

begin

declare @moid int;

declare @cocode VARCHAR(20);

declare @geom geometry;

declare @town VARCHAR(50);

select @moid = [OID], @cocode = [co_code], @geom = [geometry], @town = [town] from inserted;

update dbo.gis_test2 SET [co_code] = @cocode, [geometry] = @geom, [town] = @town where [OID] = @moid;

end;

GO

cartomatic

905 post(s)
#22-Apr-15 09:19

The problem was what you have observed before - it could not update the newly inserted record as the view was filtering it out. In theINSTEAD OF insert trigger it is therefore important to populate the data that is used for filtering. Then everything is works like a charm ;)

Try the code below (tested with sqlserver 2k12, but it should work ok for 2k8, 2k14 too). Does exactly what you need. Provides the user / user group encapsulation you are after and is ok with inserts updates and deletes. It creates 2 views that read from one source table and use INSTEAD OF triggers to manage CRUD.

--Some reading

--Updatable views: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms180800(v=sql.110).aspx#Restrictions

--CREATE VIEW:  https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187956(v=sql.110).aspx

--cleanup, cleanup, everybody cleanup

-------------------------------------

IF OBJECT_ID('dbo.vwTest_TypeX''V'IS NOT NULL

DROP VIEW [dbo].[vwTest_TypeX];

GO

IF OBJECT_ID('dbo.vwTest_TypeY''V'IS NOT NULL

DROP VIEW [dbo].[vwTest_TypeY];

GO

IF OBJECT_ID('dbo.tblTest''U'IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE [dbo].[tblTest];

GO

--create test table

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[tblTest](

[OID] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,

[Version] [int] NULL,

[Type] [nvarchar](1) NULL--Type is used to handle user / user group data encapsulation

[Geometry] [geometry] NULL,

PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED 

(

[OID] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ONON [PRIMARY]

ON [PRIMARY] TEXTIMAGE_ON [PRIMARY]

GO

--views that will be updatable through the INSTEAD OF triggers

--View for Team X

CREATE VIEW [dbo].[vwTest_TypeX] as

SELECT

[OID],

[Version],

--Do not select [Type]! Type is used to provide user / user group data encapsulation and should not be handled by the users but rather automaticaly!

[Geometry]

FROM

[dbo].[tblTest]

--Note:

--can do joins, aggregates and such

WHERE

[Type] = 'X';

GO

--View for Team Y

CREATE VIEW [dbo].[vwTest_TypeY] as

SELECT

[OID],

[Version],

--Do not select [Type]! Type is used to provide user / user group data encapsulation and should not be handled by the users but rather automaticaly!

[Geometry]

FROM

[dbo].[tblTest]

--Note:

WHERE

[Type] = 'Y';

GO

--create INSTEAD OF triggers

--team X

--instead of insert

CREATE TRIGGER [dbo].[vwTest_TypeX_Insert]

ON [dbo].[vwTest_TypeX]

INSTEAD OF INSERT AS

BEGIN

--Note:

--need to do an insert to the source table not the view, as the vie is supposed to hide the [Type] column from users;

--if this was not the case could interact with the view directly as in update / delete triggers

INSERT INTO [dbo].[tblTest] ([Version][Type][Geometry])

SELECT

[Version],

'X'--need to apply the type or other criteria used by the view to filter out the subset of the data

[Geometry]

FROM

INSERTED; 

--Note:

--can modify other tables and such

IF @@ERROR<>0

RAISERROR('Failed on inserting into [vwTest_TypeX].', 16, 1);

END

GO

--insetad of delete

CREATE TRIGGER [dbo].[vwTest_TypeX_Delete]

ON [dbo].[vwTest_TypeX]

INSTEAD OF DELETE AS

BEGIN

DELETE FROM 

[dbo].[vwTest_TypeX] 

WHERE

[OID] in (SELECT [OID] FROM DELETED);

--Note:

IF @@ERROR<>0

RAISERROR('Failed on deleting from [vwTest_TypeX].', 16, 1);

END

GO

--instead of update

CREATE TRIGGER [dbo].[vwTest_TypeX_Update]

ON [dbo].[vwTest_TypeX]

INSTEAD OF UPDATE AS

BEGIN

IF UPDATE([OID])

RAISERROR('Cannot update [OID] on [vwTest_TypeX].', 16, 1);

UPDATE

[dbo].[vwTest_TypeX]

SET

[Version] = ins.[Version],

[Geometry] = ins.[Geometry]

FROM

INSERTED ins join [dbo].[vwTest_TypeX] tbl on ins.OID = tbl.[OID] 

--Note:

IF @@ERROR<>0

RAISERROR('Failed on updating [vwTest_TypeX].', 16, 1);

END

GO

--team Y

--instead of insert

CREATE TRIGGER [dbo].[vwTest_TypeY_Insert]

ON [dbo].[vwTest_TypeY]

INSTEAD OF INSERT AS

BEGIN

--Note:

--need to do an insert to the source table not the view, as the vie is supposed to hide the [Type] column from users;

--if this was not the case could interact with the view directly as in update / delete triggers

SELECT

[Version],

'Y'--need to apply the type or other criteria used by the view to filter out the subset of the data

[Geometry]

FROM

INSERTED; 

--Note:

IF @@ERROR<>0

RAISERROR('Failed on inserting into [vwTest_TypeY].', 16, 1);

END

GO

--insetad of delete

CREATE TRIGGER [dbo].[vwTest_TypeY_Delete]

ON [dbo].[vwTest_TypeY]

INSTEAD OF DELETE AS

BEGIN

DELETE FROM 

[dbo].[vwTest_TypeY] 

WHERE

[OID] in (SELECT [OID] FROM DELETED);

--Note:

IF @@ERROR<>0

RAISERROR('Failed on deleting from [vwTest_TypeY].', 16, 1);

END

GO

--instead of update

CREATE TRIGGER [dbo].[vwTest_TypeY_Update]

ON [dbo].[vwTest_TypeY]

INSTEAD OF UPDATE AS

BEGIN

IF UPDATE([OID])

RAISERROR('Cannot update [OID] on [vwTest_TypeY].', 16, 1);

UPDATE

[dbo].[vwTest_TypeY]

SET

[Version] = ins.[Version],

[Geometry] = ins.[Geometry]

FROM

INSERTED ins join [dbo].[vwTest_TypeY] tbl on ins.OID = tbl.[OID] 

--Note:

IF @@ERROR<>0

RAISERROR('Failed on updating [vwTest_TypeY].', 16, 1);

END

GO

cartomatic

905 post(s)
#22-Apr-15 09:22

btw. INSTEAD OF triggers could be used to provide some default values for NOT NULL fields too.

cartomatic

905 post(s)
#22-Apr-15 09:55

And one more - a shorter version. A view created with the 'WITH VIEW_METADATA' and with the INSTEAD OF INSERT triggers. Less typing, lower chance of introducing the errors ;)

--cleanup, cleanup, everybody cleanup

IF OBJECT_ID('dbo.vwTest_TypeX''V'IS NOT NULL

DROP VIEW [dbo].[vwTest_TypeX];

GO

IF OBJECT_ID('dbo.vwTest_TypeY''V'IS NOT NULL

DROP VIEW [dbo].[vwTest_TypeY];

GO

IF OBJECT_ID('dbo.tblTest''U'IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE [dbo].[tblTest];

GO

--create test table

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[tblTest](

[OID] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,

[Version] [int] NULL,

[Type] [nvarchar](1) NULL--Type is used to handle user / user group data encapsulation

[Geometry] [geometry] NULL,

PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED 

(

[OID] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ONON [PRIMARY]

ON [PRIMARY] TEXTIMAGE_ON [PRIMARY]

GO

--views that will be updatable through the INSTEAD OF triggers

--View for Team X

CREATE VIEW [dbo].[vwTest_TypeX]

WITH VIEW_METADATA

AS

SELECT

[OID],

[Version],

[Geometry]

FROM

[dbo].[tblTest]

--Note:

WHERE

[Type] = 'X';

GO

--View for Team Y

CREATE VIEW [dbo].[vwTest_TypeY]

WITH VIEW_METADATA

AS

SELECT

[OID],

[Version],

[Geometry]

FROM

[dbo].[tblTest]

--Note:

WHERE

[Type] = 'Y';

GO

--create INSTEAD OF triggers

--team X

--instead of insert

CREATE TRIGGER [dbo].[vwTest_TypeX_Insert]

ON [dbo].[vwTest_TypeX]

INSTEAD OF INSERT AS

BEGIN

--Note:

SELECT

[Version],

'X'--need to apply the type or other criteria used by the view to filter out the subset of the data

[Geometry]

FROM

INSERTED; 

--Note:

IF @@ERROR<>0

RAISERROR('Failed on inserting into [vwTest_TypeX].', 16, 1);

END

GO

--team Y

--instead of insert

CREATE TRIGGER [dbo].[vwTest_TypeY_Insert]

ON [dbo].[vwTest_TypeY]

INSTEAD OF INSERT AS

BEGIN

--Note:

SELECT

[Version],

'Y'--need to apply the type or other criteria used by the view to filter out the subset of the data

[Geometry]

FROM

INSERTED; 

--Note:

IF @@ERROR<>0

RAISERROR('Failed on inserting into [vwTest_TypeY].', 16, 1);

END

GO

ChristopherG42 post(s)
#22-Apr-15 12:00

Wow excellent code Cartomatic, thank you it works well. Running it multiple times, we twice saw an odd effect where a new area feature disappeared but could not replicate the key sequence that led to it.

I tried this same trigger technique earlier but it failed and I believe the key difference is that you are not passing the filtering value from Manifold but rather hard-coding it into the trigger. Logical in retrospect!

For summary interest only, our solution for a multi-tenanted, text and spatial database/web app now consists of:

1. The core platform schema for serving geoJSON consisting:

- Non-spatial tables/view/triggers etc

- Several Master Geom tables.

- Master Geom backup/versioning tables.

- Stored Procedures for synchronising company schema geoms into the core schema tables.

2. Company specific schemas for each client company consisting:

- Company geom tables

- Several editable Views retrieving different geom types (roads, bridges etc) from the company geom tables for linking into Manifold

- View triggers on the above to manage CRUD operations (kudos to Cartomatic)

3. Within our web application platform:

- A new module for clients to manage Working and Master copy synchronisation

- Leaflet/geoJSON based maps.

Thank you to everyone for helping out!

Chris

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.