Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Importing raw GPS data to manifold
Ian
268 post(s)
#26-Sep-14 11:33

Is there any way of importing raw GPS data into manifold? I have a days worth of mapping data which has somehow become corrupted and I'm not sure if it is the raw data that is the problem or the shp file that has been created from it. I have all of the raw data (which is a lot of fence lines) and I want to see if I can import it into manifold and see if it is any good - I'm really hoping it is usable. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

BCowper

1,275 post(s)
#26-Sep-14 14:27

Unless it's a recognized Drawing import format Manifold won't be able to import it. There are various third party programs that can convert from whatever the raw format is to something useable by Manifold. What's the GPS unit that captured the data and what kind of file does it create? What software did you use to convert it to shapefile? Knowing this will help us identify what you can do.

Ian
268 post(s)
#27-Sep-14 08:39

It is a ashtech mobile mapper 100. I was just trying it out as I was thinking of getting one. I have attached one of the raw data files as I'm not sure what kind of files they are I can post them all if you want). The unit makes the shp file as you work. I could see it was having issues as when it was displaying the paddocks I had recorded as it was putting some paddocks over top of others. I assumed it was having problems displaying the shp file but thought the raw data would be fine to use. It also had issues with the dates. The first part of the day recorded as the 24th Sept, I turned the GPS off for a bit before doing the next part of the job and it recorded that as the 25th sept. I made fence, drain, race and point files. The fence layer is the one with the issues the others are fine. I did fence files during both parts of the day.

Attachments:
G0043XC4.267

adaptagis

633 post(s)
#29-Sep-14 10:56

I recommend to use the firmware mobile mapper office to handle the data and convert to shp.files

geozap
264 post(s)
#29-Sep-14 18:00

I am using the Gnss "larger" version of your devise, promark3rtk, for surveying, but I have never used it as a gis data collector.

I cannot try your file because where I am now I don't have access to the pc software.

When surveying the .267 file extension means that you collected the data (or firstly created the file) on the 267th day of the year. Those *.date files are something like a compressed file. You have to use the "Download" utility that comes with GSNN Solutions (the standard Astech software for GPS) to convert the *.date files to a format GNSS Solutions can read. Then you open the data with GNSS Solutions, and if you manage to do that, probably you solved your problem, since then you will have coordinates in tabular form.

If you have access to GNSS Solutions maybe you should give it a try, although I don't know if the GIS data processing is the same with that of Surveying GPS data.

Ian
268 post(s)
#29-Sep-14 19:29

Thanks sounds like I might just have to go and do the job again. I don't have the program to do the processing the guys who I borrowed the unit from do and they have tried to open the files and can't.

geozap
264 post(s)
#01-Oct-14 19:05

If you really have to do the job again, here is an idea.

Instead of creating in the field features like lines or areas, create points in the most simple way you can, and connect them later in the office using your cad to draw fences or whatever. Also try before doing the actual job, do as survey of a dοzine of points somewhere it fits you, and go the whole procedure up to end (field-to-cad), just to avoid doing something wrong in the real job.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.