Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Exporting shape file to use in Mapinfo
dumbledown62 post(s)
#11-Sep-14 10:19

I have a drawing that has been produced through the following process within the UK:

• Linking Virtual Earth Street Map image mapping from the Manifold Image server
  • Importing image and georeferencing it to the Street Map
  • Automatically tracing from the georeferenced image

I want to export this drawing to use in Mapinfo. However, I can't get anywhere, principally because as I export the shape file it is not assigned to any coordinate system, and I'm not sure what coordinate system to import it in Mapinfo.

If I assign a coordinate system it goes to completely the wrong place within Manifold.

This is really bugging me, and it would be great to have a solution for this - Manifold is much better than Mapinfo.

Thanks

Hugh

adaptagis

633 post(s)
#11-Sep-14 10:36

you need to assing projection and then choose "load from component" (top right button) the linked image as reference for your drawing. then export your drawing to a fresh folder.. note that shp files are divided into several files.. therefore I alwas create a specific folder for every shp.

good luck!

dumbledown62 post(s)
#11-Sep-14 11:08

Thanks adaptagis,

I've done the following:

• I've assigned projection by loading from the component - it says it is Standard > Mercator > Cylindrical > Mercator > World Geodetic 1984 (WGS84) Auto
  • Exported as a shape file to a new folder
  • Opened shapefile in Mapinfo
  • Assigned projection to Long/Lat in Mapinfo >> WGS84

Nothing happens, there is no drawing anywhere but the table is present

If I import it has British National Grid the drawing is there but it is in completely the wrong place (understandably)

Any more pointers?

tjhb
10,094 post(s)
#11-Sep-14 11:03

This is a bit complicated to put into words correctly.

But first we need to add a trivial step:

• Linking Virtual Earth Street Map image mapping from the Manifold Image server
  • Importing image and georeferencing it to the Street Map
  • Creating a new drawing
  • Automatically tracing from the georeferenced image

When you create that drawing, it has *some* coordinate system, in all probability the projection of the Virtual Earth image that everything is built upon. (Was that assigned Web Mercator, i.e. Mercator as the projection, with World Geographic 1984 (WGS84) Auto as the datum? That would be usual. If not then this could need attention first.)

If that was the case, then the drawing would also inherit the Local Offset and Local Scale values used for the image. To make the drawing useful outside Manifold, these values need to be removed (converted to 0 and 1 respectively). And you will probably also want to convert to a well-known projection appropriate for the area, which can be used in MapInfo as well.

It might not be this simple, but the final step before export will be to use Change Projection (not Assign Projection) to convert the geometry to the shared projection you have chosen for use in MapInfo as well as Manifold. (Actually this can be a first step: the drawing can be maintained and edited in Manifold in this target projection, even if it is used with imagery in Web Mercator.)

There could be some complications here that make it worthwhile posting a map with example data.

The way to remove them is

dumbledown62 post(s)
#11-Sep-14 11:43

Thanks guys,

Using your methodology worked perfectly - this is a great help

mdsumner

4,260 post(s)
#12-Sep-14 04:58

I am missing something - why export a shapefile for MapInfo?

https://github.com/mdsumner

tjhb
10,094 post(s)
#12-Sep-14 06:29

Good point! But all of the same considerations will apply to MIFs.

mdsumner

4,260 post(s)
#12-Sep-14 12:44

Not the projection-metadata ones though, presumably. I also find the transfer to GDAL much betterer with MI formats. At least the other crappy shp limitations aren't there too:

- no DBF legacy

- no lack of mixed geometries (GDAL / QGIS perspective on this is unclear)

- no lack of formatting storage

Sigh. Someone should write the GDAL drivers for .map projects, and the GDAL data source for Manifold.

dale

630 post(s)
#14-Sep-14 22:51

Agreed there Mike.

GDAL/QGIS is my go to in cases of shp or mif/mid file Manifold import export fails.

mdsumner

4,260 post(s)
#15-Sep-14 05:32

With NVidia's Denver taking over the world this year I'm sure we'll see some exciting new stuff. :)

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.