Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Export to PDF Minor Problem
krnadik54 post(s)
#01-Aug-14 02:39

Hi all,

We are having a minor problem when exporting a layout created from a map.

When you zoom in closely into the PDF (more than 100%), you'll see that some lines are thicker than the others.

The concern of my colleague is that there is an issue in the consistency in the thickness of the lines.

I have attached the map file and the PDF output. The PDF output is generated when I export the layout to Image>PDF.

I hope you could help us.

Thanks! :)

Attachments:
layout.map
Layout.pdf

Graeme

990 post(s)
#01-Aug-14 04:11

Interesting - agree that's what happens via the export image to PDF route. Just printed to a PDF printer (PDF995) and it appears as expected (attached), so looks as though something may be worth drawing to the attention of Tech.

Attachments:
Manifold - layout - Layout.pdf

valimai
14 post(s)
#01-Aug-14 06:12

I see this in manifold manual and it might help

Export Layout - PDF

Export a print Layout to a PDF file. PDF is Portable Document Format, read by Adobe Acrobat Reader and other applications.

To export a layout to a PDF file:

1. Create the layout and open it.

2. Choose File - Export - Image.

3. In the Export dialog, browse to the folder in which the file is to be saved, choose a filename and in the Save as type box choose PDF file format. Press Save.

4. In the subsequent dialog, choose options desired and press OK.

Options for PDF export

Pixel resolution

Used to save images and surfaces that are in the layout. Resolution must be greater than 1 DPI and less than 7200 DPI. Default is 72 DPI.

Vector resolution

Used to save drawings and labels as well as layout elements such as text or horizontal and vertical lines. Resolution must be greater than 1 DPI and less than 7200 DPI. Default is 300 DPI. If saving for subsequent work in some other program before printing choose a Vector resolution setting that is the same as the resolution of the printer that will be used. If printing to a 600 DPI printer, for example, use 600 DPI.

Pages

Export only specified pages from a multipage layout.

Compress output

Use a compression algorithm to save space.

Convert text to vector shapes

When turned on (default), text elements are converted to vector shapes. When off, text elements will be exported as text but will use the system font (Helvetica) instead of the original font. Using vector shapes results in a larger file but one that is faithful to the appearance of fonts originally used.

Use layers

Use .pdf layers.

Use transparency

Enable transparency to correctly render transparent colors.

Ignore Styles

Export the image using default point, line, area and label styles.

The Ignore styles checkbox is an advanced option that forces Manifold to use default styles for exported objects. This can be useful when exporting for later use in vector-style graphics editors such as Illustrator because the default styles produce a relatively small number of simple vector objects per Manifold entity. In contrast, more complex styles available in Manifold can produce five to ten relatively complex vector objects per point. If the person operating Illustrator prefers to work with simple objects check this box.

Default Resolutions for Export

Screen resolution is normally 96 DPI on most monitors. The default resolution for layout exports is set to 72 DPI because at 72 DPI one point is one pixel. For example, at 72 DPI an 8 pt Tahoma font will be 8 pixels wide.

krnadik54 post(s)
#01-Aug-14 07:16

Thanks for trying it out Graeme.

We also have a PDF printer here (PDF995 as well), but the problem with the PDF printer is that it makes a soft copy of the "paper print out". What we like about the export image to PDF is that it retains the layers and you can turn it on and off.

So at least it's good to know we're not the only ones experiencing this. ;)

adamw

10,447 post(s)
#01-Aug-14 08:53

I have been able to reproduce the issue as well.

Interestingly enough, exporting to PS and converting PS to PDF creates a PDF that does not exhibit the issue, line weights seem consistent.

I have filed a request to investigate this into our issue tracking database.

oeaulong

521 post(s)
#02-Aug-14 21:02

I just took a look at the .map.

The first thing I tried was to run Bounded Areas transform on the road layer. The areas that populate seem to be the exact bounded areas of the problem lines in thickness. There is probably a research clue here with the contiguous lines connected as a polygon. Did this layer get imported from a CAD package?

The second thing I did (to a new version of the layout.map) was to explode the road layer and then try. The resulting pdf didn't show the heavier line weights.

The third test was to take one of the problem lines and split the branch at a node. The resulting pdf also didn't have the weighted lines.

Hope this helps you and tech suppt.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.