Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Hangs while saving map file
orerockon

392 post(s)
#18-Oct-10 10:53

I ran into a problem where I had mistakenly opened a map file twice (mouse operator error LOL). I did a lot of editing then tried to save the file, but Manifold hangs at saving the last component (I assume it was trying to write the file to the hard drive at that point). Since it was open in another window, I am guessing that the save won't ever finish even though I closed the second window without saving the file. Is this the case and is there anything I can do about it (besides crying into my spilt milk)? I can't pause or cancel the save in the dialog box either.

KlausDE

6,410 post(s)
#18-Oct-10 12:04

What does the dialog report? "Saving" or "Loading"? Every save is followd by a load to check correct writing. If the process stopped while loading you have the latest file on disk, hopefully without error. You can check with another instance of manifold.

But it's more likely that an error report is hidden behind the main window. Step through running programs with <ALT><TAB>. When you go back to the hanging project by keys the hidden message will appear. If it says that it couldn't store the file at the correct place and uses a cryptic filename with extension .tmp. copy this file before you continue and rename it .map. You may find the original file truncated to 0 byte length.

Do you really want to ruin economy only to save the planet?

Mike Fisher

899 post(s)
#18-Oct-10 13:26

Also, check on your system's resources. For example, if you have run out of disk space or disk space hosting your TEMP folder, delete some unnecessary files to free up necessary space.

orerockon

392 post(s)
#18-Oct-10 13:55

How many beers do I owe you Klaus? It was saved to a tmp folder in C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp so I copied that, renamed it too .map and it fired right up!

NickN51 post(s)
#05-Aug-14 18:57

Thanks for this tip Klaus! I recently ran into this situation where the map file froze at 70% complete during a save - it sat there for hours using cpu but completely unresponsive. I located the saved version as a .tmp file in the temp folder and was able to recover my recent edits by copying the .tmp and renaming to .map. Many thanks for sharing this info!

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.