The Geocoding Tools package is an optional extension to Manifold System that provides street address geocoding capability as well as access to the Manifold Geocoding Database data provided as a free download on the manifold.net site for both US street address geocoding as well as the easy creation of drawings showing US streets. The Geocoding Tools package also requires access to one or more of the geocoding data sources that are required for street address geocoding.
If you do not have the optional Geocoding Tools package you will not be able to use street address geocoding functions within Manifold (regardless of the data source used) or take advantage of the street address geocoding data provided as a free download on the manifold.net site for the United States. If you do not also have at least one geocoding data source appropriate to the geographic region of interest (regardless of whether you have installed the Geocoding Tools package), you will not be able to use street address geocoding functions. If you plan on using the Manifold Geocoding Database see the Geocoding Data Sources topic for instructions on installing the database provided as a free download on the manifold.net site.
Very important: the Geocoding Tools package will not be operational until you install at least one geocoding data source. You must install at least one geocoding data source.
The Geocoding Tools extension adds functionality in several areas:
· Street address geocoding within the United States using the Manifold Geocoding Database provided as a free download on the manifold.net site.
· Street address geocoding within North America or Europe using the appropriate edition of Microsoft's MapPoint product as a data source.
· Street address geocoding anywhere in the world using user-provided geocoding data extensions in either range or points of interest formats.
· Street address geocoding using web-based Manifold geocoding servers to provide geocoding services.
· Easy import of drawings showing US streets from the Manifold Geocoding Database provided as a free download on the manifold.net site as set forth in the Import Drawing - Geocoding Database topic.
· Geocoding Extensions may be used within SQL to allow use of street address geocoding functions within SQL queries.
· Programming objects such as the Geocoder object may be used from scripts or other programs or from within IMS applications.
· Street addresses and ZIP codes may be used in the Edit - Go To dialog.
If you do not have the optional Geocoding Tools package enabled you will not have the above capabilities enabled within Manifold System. This documentation describes these commands but they will not be enabled if you do not have the Geocoding Tools package enabled.
Installing Geocoding Tools
The Geocoding Tools package is built into your Manifold System installation and becomes enabled for use when activated. Activate it by providing a Geocoding Tools serial number and Activation key that turn on Geocoding Tools functionality. The process of activating the Geocoding Tools extension is very similar to that used to activate Manifold System. See the Activation Keys and Serial Numbers topic and the Installing and Activating a Manifold Extension topic for details.
Some Manifold product options, such as Universal Edition or Ultimate Edition, use a single serial number and Activation key to enable permanent installation of both Manifold System as well as extensions. If you have activated Universal Edition or Ultimate Edition you do not need to individually turn on Business Tools or Geocoding Tools or Surface Tools. Activating Universal Edition or Ultimate Edition will also automatically turn on all three extensions.
Turning on Geocoding Tools
If you have licensed Universal Edition, you do not need to turn on Geocoding Tools. The Geocoding Tools extension is automatically enabled with a Universal Edition serial number.
If you have not licensed Universal Edition and you wish to add Geocoding Tools functionality to your installation, begin by acquiring a Geocoding Tools license from manifold.net, which will provide you with a Geocoding Tools serial number.
1. Login as the Administrator if running Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, 2003 or other advanced Windows editions. Close any programs running in background except essential Windows processes. (Temporarily shut off any virus checkers, network checkers, uninstallers, registry protectors and other programs that might limit the extent of Administrative privileges).
2. Launch Manifold System. Close any projects that may be open.
3. Choose Help - Activate Extension
4. Enter the Geocoding Tools serial number. Enter it exactly as it was issued to you by manifold.net. Do not change upper case to lower case. Do not replace hyphens with space characters or make any other changes to the serial number. If desired, you may also enter an Activation key for the serial number as well. Press Accept.
5. Manifold will then exit. When re-launched, the Geocoding Tools package will be enabled.
6. Using the serial number alone the Geocoding Tools package may be run for 30 days from the date the serial number was issued. After that, an Activation Key must be fetched and provided to the Help - Activate Extension dialog together with the serial number. Once an Activation Key and a serial number have been provided to the Help - Activate Extension dialog the extension will be permanently installed. Don't forget to login as Administrator when permanently activating the Geocoding Tools extension.
7. Install a geocoding data source - You must have at least one geocoding data source installed to operate the Geocoding Tools package. Most US users will download and install the Manifold Geocoding Database provided as a free download on the manifold.net site
Status of Extensions
The Help - About dialog shows all extensions that have been installed. If a serial number only has been used to install an extension, the number of days left before an Activation key is also required will be shown.
Geocoding Data Sources
Street Address Geocoding
Geocoding with MapPoint
Geocoding Data Extensions
Manifold Geocoding Servers